The conversation on this page has been archived and is no longer active.

10.4.9 broke sleep

Message #1 - Posted 2007/03/21 - PeterD

I always used to use Cmd-opt-eject to sleep my PB, but since 10.4.9 this doesn't work any more. Am I the only one affected like this?

Pd

Message #2 - Posted 2007/03/21 - Marco Bakker

PeterD wrote:

I always used to use Cmd-opt-eject to sleep my PB, but since 10.4.9 this doesn't work any more. Am I the only one affected like this?

Since 10.4.9 you need to press the eject key (and any combination of keys with the eject key) a bit longer.

marco

Message #3 - Posted 2007/03/21 - Andy Hewitt

Marco Bakker wrote:

PeterD wrote:

I always used to use Cmd-opt-eject to sleep my PB, but since 10.4.9 this doesn't work any more. Am I the only one affected like this?

Since 10.4.9 you need to press the eject key (and any combination of keys with the eject key) a bit longer.

I've had a problem waking my G5 since 10.4.9.

Message #4 - Posted 2007/03/21 - PeterD

Marco Bakker wrote:

PeterD wrote:

I always used to use Cmd-opt-eject to sleep my PB, but since 10.4.9 this doesn't work any more. Am I the only one affected like this?

Since 10.4.9 you need to press the eject key (and any combination of keys with the eject key) a bit longer.

Hoho! So you do. Thanks for that.

Pd

Message #5 - Posted 2007/03/21 - Richard Tobin

Previously, PeterD wrote:

I always used to use Cmd-opt-eject to sleep my PB,

Cmd-opt-eject? How did Macs ever get the reputation for being intuitive to use?

-- Richard

"Consideration shall be given to the need for as many as 32 characters in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.

Message #6 - Posted 2007/03/21 - PeterD

Richard Tobin wrote:

Previously, PeterD wrote:

I always used to use Cmd-opt-eject to sleep my PB,

Cmd-opt-eject? How did Macs ever get the reputation for being intuitive to use?

Or you can use the menus: Apple-Sleep
or press Power and click the sleep button
or press power and S for sleep.

Keyboard shortcuts are hardly ever going to be "intuitive" except for the ones marked with little speaker icons for 'louder' and 'softer', but menus are just a matter of looking to see what's available. Fairly intuitive if you understand the mouse/menu interface.

Pd

Message #7 - Posted 2007/03/21 - Richard Parkin

Andy Hewitt wrote:

<
I've had a problem waking my G5 since 10.4.9.

So do I.

Richard Parkin

Message #8 - Posted 2007/03/21 - Andy Hewitt

Richard Parkin wrote:

Andy Hewitt wrote:

<
I've had a problem waking my G5 since 10.4.9.

So do I.

I haven't seen it much since 10.2.0 myself, although I have had the occasional sleep issue in 10.3, I've never seen one at all in 10.4.

Message #9 - Posted 2007/03/21 - Thom White

PeterD wrote:

Richard Tobin wrote:

Previously, PeterD wrote:

I always used to use Cmd-opt-eject to sleep my PB,

Cmd-opt-eject? How did Macs ever get the reputation for being intuitive to use?

Or you can use the menus: Apple-Sleep
or press Power and click the sleep button
or press power and S for sleep.

Nice one. There is simply no pleasing some people.

Thom

Message #10 - Posted 2007/03/22 - Dave Gill

Previously, Marco Bakker wrote:

PeterD wrote:

I always used to use Cmd-opt-eject to sleep my PB, but since 10.4.9 this doesn't work any more. Am I the only one affected like this?

Since 10.4.9 you need to press the eject key (and any combination of keys with the eject key) a bit longer.

I discovered that buy trial and error. I had been blaming the keyboard initially.

Anyone else's Mac got significantly louder (as in sound through the speakers) since 10.4.9?

The From address is a spam-trap, so all replies to the newsgroup please.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Be Alert, Your Country Needs More Lerts! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Message #11 - Posted 2007/03/22 - Daniel Cohen

PeterD wrote:

Or you can use the menus: Apple-Sleep
or press Power and click the sleep button
or press power and S for sleep.

Or control-eject and choose the Sleep option (by the mouse or by pressing S)

http://www.decohen.com Send e-mail to the Reply-To address;
mail to the From address is never read

Message #12 - Posted 2007/03/22 - J.J. O'Shea

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:20:17 -0400, Dave Gill wrote (in a previous article):

Previously, Marco Bakker wrote:

PeterD wrote:

I always used to use Cmd-opt-eject to sleep my PB, but since 10.4.9 this doesn't work any more. Am I the only one affected like this?

Since 10.4.9 you need to press the eject key (and any combination of keys with the eject key) a bit longer.

I discovered that buy trial and error. I had been blaming the keyboard initially.

Anyone else's Mac got significantly louder (as in sound through the speakers) since 10.4.9?

Yes. This is a Good Thing(tm).

email to oshea dot j dot j at gmail dot com.

Message #13 - Posted 2007/03/22 - zoara

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 00:20:17 +0000, Dave Gill wrote:

Anyone else's Mac got significantly louder (as in sound through the speakers) since 10.4.9?

Have you tried turning the volume down?

-z-

My God, it's full of asterisks.

Message #14 - Posted 2007/03/22 - Roger Merriman

Daniel Cohen wrote:

PeterD wrote:

Or you can use the menus: Apple-Sleep
or press Power and click the sleep button
or press power and S for sleep.

Or control-eject and choose the Sleep option (by the mouse or by pressing S)

or if laptop just closing lid, works fine here.

roger

Message #15 - Posted 2007/03/22 - Jerome O'Donohoe

Roger Merriman wrote:

Daniel Cohen wrote:

PeterD wrote:

Or you can use the menus: Apple-Sleep
or press Power and click the sleep button
or press power and S for sleep.

Or control-eject and choose the Sleep option (by the mouse or by pressing S)

or if laptop just closing lid, works fine here.

not working so well on my CD MBP...will sometimes take it out of it's case when I get home and it's burning hot and the fans are going like the clappers. Hasn't happened since 10.4.9 mind you.

Message #16 - Posted 2007/03/22 - Peter Ceresole

Roger Merriman wrote:

Or you can use the menus: Apple-Sleep
or press Power and click the sleep button
or press power and S for sleep.

Or control-eject and choose the Sleep option (by the mouse or by pressing S)

or if laptop just closing lid, works fine here.

Yes, I was wondering how this had somehow got left out of the show. --
Peter

Message #17 - Posted 2007/03/22 - Peter Ceresole

Jerome O39;Donohoe wrote:

not working so well on my CD MBP...will sometimes take it out of it's case when I get home and it's burning hot and the fans are going like the clappers. Hasn't happened since 10.4.9 mind you.

Hmmm... I saw [1] that happen to Flavio's MacBook. I think his is fixed now- was that by an OS upgrade, Flavio?

[1] 'Saw' in that it seemed to be gently glowing red hot. And 'heard' as in a Lancaster taking off...

Peter

Message #18 - Posted 2007/03/22 - Jerome O'Donohoe

Peter Ceresole wrote:

Jerome O39;Donohoe wrote:

not working so well on my CD MBP...will sometimes take it out of it's case when I get home and it's burning hot and the fans are going like the clappers. Hasn't happened since 10.4.9 mind you.

Hmmm... I saw [1] that happen to Flavio's MacBook. I think his is fixed now- was that by an OS upgrade, Flavio?

[1] 'Saw' in that it seemed to be gently glowing red hot. And 'heard' as in a Lancaster taking off...

It can't help, putting it into a neoprene case at this point when it's still making heat! But that's what i do....

Message #19 - Posted 2007/03/23 - Dave Gill

Previously, zoara wrote:

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 00:20:17 +0000, Dave Gill wrote:

Anyone else's Mac got significantly louder (as in sound through the speakers) since 10.4.9?

Have you tried turning the volume down?

Ha ha.

I used to have the volume set to 8 or 9, but now I've had to turn it down to 3 or 4...

The From address is a spam-trap, so all replies to the newsgroup please.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Be Alert, Your Country Needs More Lerts! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Need Help? Have a Question?

Looking for more help, comments, and answers?

Ask your questions on Ask Different. Ask Different is a community of Apple users ready to help.