The conversation on this page has been archived and is no longer active.

Apple iBook & PowerBook battery recall

Message #1 - Posted 2005/05/20 - Mark Etherington

Apple's had yet another batch of overheating batteries. If you've bought a new iBook or PowerBook recently (or new battery for your laptop) then check to see if you're affected:

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/batteryexchange/

Mark Etherington
marke@roxley.co.uk

Message #2 - Posted 2005/05/20 - Chris Ridd

On 20/5/05 3:32, in article 3f6ao3F68i6dU1@individual.net, Mark Etherington wrote:

Apple's had yet another batch of overheating batteries. If you've bought a new iBook or PowerBook recently (or new battery for your laptop) then check to see if you're affected:

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/batteryexchange/

Phew, mine's not affected.

Cheers,

Chris

Message #3 - Posted 2005/05/20 - Jon B

Mark Etherington wrote:

Apple's had yet another batch of overheating batteries. If you've bought a new iBook or PowerBook recently (or new battery for your laptop) then check to see if you're affected:

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/batteryexchange/

Cheers for headsup, got 3 machines that could possibly be affected.... --
Jon B
real email to usenet at jonbradbury dot com

Message #4 - Posted 2005/05/20 - Tim Auton

Mark Etherington wrote:

Apple's had yet another batch of overheating batteries. If you've bought a new iBook or PowerBook recently (or new battery for your laptop) then check to see if you're affected:

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/batteryexchange/

Batteries bought between October last year and May this year (I guess that means now!). I've got a new one on its way to me. I was quite chuffed, that's an extra 6 months before I'll need to buy a replacement I thought. Then I saw what a dodgy battery can do:

http://www.danaquarium.com/gallery/macoddities/pbfire3

Tim

Don't tell me I'm still on that feckin' island!

Message #5 - Posted 2005/05/20 - The Rev

On 2005-05-20 21:04:48 +0100, Tim Auton said:

Batteries bought between October last year and May this year (I guess that means now!). I've got a new one on its way to me. I was quite chuffed, that's an extra 6 months before I'll need to buy a replacement I thought.

I bought a 12" Powerbook battery a couple of weeks ago and it's not one of the bad ones.

Message #6 - Posted 2005/05/20 - Chris Ridd

On 20/5/05 9:56, in article 3f717qF6b8blU1@individual.net, The Rev wrote:

On 2005-05-20 21:04:48 +0100, Tim Auton said:

Batteries bought between October last year and May this year (I guess that means now!). I've got a new one on its way to me. I was quite chuffed, that's an extra 6 months before I'll need to buy a replacement I thought.

I bought a 12" Powerbook battery a couple of weeks ago and it's not one of the bad ones.

Yea, mine 15" is about a month old and not affected either. Apple does give a range of serial numbers so it isn't as simple as being in a range of dates.

Cheers,

Chris

Message #7 - Posted 2005/05/20 - Sara Kirk

Previously, Chris Ridd wrote:

On 20/5/05 3:32, in article 3f6ao3F68i6dU1@individual.net, Mark Etherington wrote:

Apple's had yet another batch of overheating batteries. If you've bought a new iBook or PowerBook recently (or new battery for your laptop) then check to see if you're affected:

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/batteryexchange/

Phew, mine's not affected.

Mine neither. Phew.

Sara

iChat: sarakirk (AIM)
So, what are you going to do? Sucker me to death?

Message #8 - Posted 2005/05/20 - David

Mark Etherington wrote:

Apple's had yet another batch of overheating batteries. If you've

bought

a new iBook or PowerBook recently (or new battery for your laptop)

then

check to see if you're affected:

Mine is affected. But, in the spirit of the glass being half full: I get a new battery in exchange for an apparently fine but half worn out used battery. And my house hasn't burnt down. I have checked all of the smoke alarm batteries, though ...

Message #9 - Posted 2005/05/21 - Chris Ridd

On 20/5/05 11:45, in article 1116629128.989285.118700@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, David wrote:

Mark Etherington wrote:

Apple's had yet another batch of overheating batteries. If you've

bought

a new iBook or PowerBook recently (or new battery for your laptop)

then

check to see if you're affected:

Mine is affected. But, in the spirit of the glass being half full: I get a new battery in exchange for an apparently fine but half worn out

Result!

used battery. And my house hasn't burnt down. I have checked all of the smoke alarm batteries, though ...

I don't think Apple will swap your smoke alarm batteries.

Cheers,

Chris

Message #10 - Posted 2005/05/21 - David

Chris Ridd wrote:

used battery. And my house hasn't burnt down. I have checked all of

the

smoke alarm batteries, though ...

I don't think Apple will swap your smoke alarm batteries.

What? Not even if they've got a long and confusing serial number? Shame!

Need Help? Have a Question?

Looking for more help, comments, and answers?

Ask your questions on Ask Different. Ask Different is a community of Apple users ready to help.