The conversation on this page has been archived and is no longer active.

Correct PRAM battery for 500 Mhz 17" G4 Ti PB

Message #1 - Posted 2007/01/15 - Kit

Hi,

Please can anyone confirm (or deny!) that the backup/PRAM battery in a 500 Mhz 17" G4 Ti Powerbook is the the same as in the G4 desktop models - i.e. a 1/2 AA 3.6V lithium battery?

(this is for a friend and I don't have the PB here with me now so I can't open it up and check the one that is already in)

Any recommendations on where I can get one?

Thanks

Kit

Message #2 - Posted 2007/01/15 - Jon B

Kit wrote:

Hi,

Please can anyone confirm (or deny!) that the backup/PRAM battery in a 500 Mhz 17" G4 Ti Powerbook is the the same as in the G4 desktop models - i.e. a 1/2 AA 3.6V lithium battery?

(this is for a friend and I don't have the PB here with me now so I can't open it up and check the one that is already in)

Any recommendations on where I can get one?

No they aren't (presume you mean a 15" 500mhz), they are a custom battery, around £70 + delivery. VIS are quoting 12 days to get hold of one (part number 922-4361).

Jon B
Above email address IS valid.
<http://www.bramley-computers.co.uk/> Apple Laptop Repairs.

Message #3 - Posted 2007/01/15 - Kit

Previously, Jon B wrote:

Kit wrote:

Hi,

Please can anyone confirm (or deny!) that the backup/PRAM battery in a 500 Mhz 17" G4 Ti Powerbook is the the same as in the G4 desktop models - i.e. a 1/2 AA 3.6V lithium battery?

No they aren't (presume you mean a 15" 500mhz),

Sorry.
I just checked with my friend who now informs me that it is a 17" 1.67 GHz Ti G4 PB.
Does that affect your answer?

they are a custom
battery, around £70 + delivery.

OUCH!

-)

VIS are quoting 12 days to get hold of
one (part number 922-4361).

Thanks for the info.
Who/what is VIS? Do you have the URL?

Thanks again!

Kit

Message #4 - Posted 2007/01/15 - Peter Ceresole

Jon B wrote:

No they aren't (presume you mean a 15" 500mhz), they are a custom battery, around £70 + delivery. VIS are quoting 12 days to get hold of one (part number 922-4361).

Where *are* the PRAM batteries in TiBooks? I have a 667 which might last a while longer (if I gat a new main battery) but I've enver seen where the PRAM battery lives.

Peter

Message #5 - Posted 2007/01/15 - Bonge Boo

Kit wrote:

Hi,

Please can anyone confirm (or deny!) that the backup/PRAM battery in a 500 Mhz 17" G4 Ti Powerbook is the the same as in the G4 desktop models - i.e. a 1/2 AA 3.6V lithium battery?

Its completely different.

Message #6 - Posted 2007/01/15 - Bonge Boo

Peter Ceresole wrote:

Jon B wrote:

No they aren't (presume you mean a 15" 500mhz), they are a custom battery, around £70 + delivery. VIS are quoting 12 days to get hold of one (part number 922-4361).

Where *are* the PRAM batteries in TiBooks? I have a 667 which might last a while longer (if I gat a new main battery) but I've enver seen where the PRAM battery lives.

Under the DVD AFAIR.

Message #7 - Posted 2007/01/15 - Bonge Boo

Kit wrote:

Previously, Jon B wrote:

Kit wrote:

Hi,

Please can anyone confirm (or deny!) that the backup/PRAM battery in a 500 Mhz 17" G4 Ti Powerbook is the the same as in the G4 desktop models - i.e. a 1/2 AA 3.6V lithium battery?

No they aren't (presume you mean a 15" 500mhz),

Sorry.
I just checked with my friend who now informs me that it is a 17" 1.67 GHz Ti G4 PB.
Does that affect your answer?

Could I suggest you don't try to fit this yourself? You seem not to know what computer you are going to be working on and that's somewhat important. Its not a trivial fit.

Message #8 - Posted 2007/01/15 - Peter Ceresole

Bonge Boo wrote:

the PRAM battery lives.

Under the DVD AFAIR.

So not trivial, as you say.

Peter

Message #9 - Posted 2007/01/15 - Kit

Previously, Bonge Boo wrote:

Could I suggest you don't try to fit this yourself? You seem not to know what computer you are going to be working on and that's somewhat important. Its not a trivial fit.

Thanks for the advice...

Surely on a properly designed computer replacing a PRAM battery SHOULD be a relatively trivial thing? After all, the batteries will need replacing every couple of years and so there should be no excuse for the manufacturer making it as difficult as changing a hard drive.

Also, just because my friend didn't accurately specify his laptop to me over the phone doesn't mean that I will be incapable of replacing the battery when I find out what it is. I have in the past successfully upgraded HDDs in both a Pismo and a clamshell iBook, and the latter certainly is NOT a trivial task!

-)

Is replacing a PRAM battery in a 1.67GHz PB more difficult than replacing the HDD in a ckamshell iBook?

Kit

Message #10 - Posted 2007/01/15 - Bonge Boo

Kit wrote:

Previously, Bonge Boo wrote:

Could I suggest you don't try to fit this yourself? You seem not to know what computer you are going to be working on and that's somewhat important. Its not a trivial fit.

Thanks for the advice...

Surely on a properly designed computer replacing a PRAM battery SHOULD be a relatively trivial thing? After all, the batteries will need replacing every couple of years and so there should be no excuse for the manufacturer making it as difficult as changing a hard drive.

No one ever claimed Apple designed computers to be serviced easily...

Also, just because my friend didn't accurately specify his laptop to me over the phone doesn't mean that I will be incapable of replacing the battery when I find out what it is. I have in the past successfully upgraded HDDs in both a Pismo and a clamshell iBook, and the latter certainly is NOT a trivial task!

Google would have found you the answer, so I assumed you really didn't know what you were talking about. My bad.

Is replacing a PRAM battery in a 1.67GHz PB more difficult than replacing the HDD in a ckamshell iBook?

In terms of steps, its comparable. Doing so without leaving marks is more difficult, so unless you want someone moaning, let them know there is a possibility of cosmetic damage.

Sorry, but of late I've been getting the "my <insert model here> won't start up" which upon further investigation becomes "I was replacing the <insert part here> and now it won't start up" phone calls. Makes me assume people are less than capable unless proven otherwise.

Message #11 - Posted 2007/01/15 - Sara Kirk

Previously, Kit wrote:

Previously, Bonge Boo wrote:

Could I suggest you don't try to fit this yourself? You seem not to know what computer you are going to be working on and that's somewhat important. Its not a trivial fit.

Thanks for the advice...

Surely on a properly designed computer replacing a PRAM battery SHOULD be a relatively trivial thing? After all, the batteries will need replacing every couple of years and so there should be no excuse for the manufacturer making it as difficult as changing a hard drive.

Also, just because my friend didn't accurately specify his laptop to me over the phone doesn't mean that I will be incapable of replacing the battery when I find out what it is. I have in the past successfully upgraded HDDs in both a Pismo and a clamshell iBook, and the latter certainly is NOT a trivial task!

-)

Is replacing a PRAM battery in a 1.67GHz PB more difficult than replacing the HDD in a ckamshell iBook?

Have a look through the appropriate guide and make your own mind up - I'd probably go for it.

<http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/>

Sara

"I have an inadequate of the tech"
Jim, ucsm

Message #12 - Posted 2007/01/15 - Kit

Previously, Bonge Boo wrote:

No one ever claimed Apple designed computers to be serviced easily...

True, but with the advent of the G4 desktop they made a big improvement. Opening up a G4 and swapping bits is MUCH easier than a G3 and earlier models. Based on that I I was hoping that newer PBs would be easier than Pismo or old iBook...

Google would have found you the answer, so I assumed you really didn't know what you were talking about. My bad.

I did google, but got lots of results, and none in the first dozen or so I looked at were relevant or pointed me at a supplier. Probably this was partly due to the faulty model info I was given and partly due to my slack of skill with specifying google searches!

-)

In terms of steps, its comparable. Doing so without leaving marks is more difficult, so unless you want someone moaning, let them know there is a possibility of cosmetic damage.

I will take that advice and tell them the risks and let them decide if they want to put it in professional hands. This is the same friend for whom I replaced the Pismo HDD and he asked me this as a favour.

Sorry, but of late I've been getting the "my <insert model here> won't start up" which upon further investigation becomes "I was replacing the <insert part here> and now it won't start up" phone calls. Makes me assume people are less than capable unless proven otherwise.

Yes, I can sympathise.
I'm in the business of company formations and company law services and I often get customers who have no idea what they are doing with their companies. They screw up and then ask me to sort out their mess. Just last week a guy informed me that for years he'd been giving out shares in his company without informing Companies House and, even worse, giving dividends that were totally unrelated to shareholdings. Eventually I managed to sort out a semi-solution for him and I suppose I shouldn't complain as it was a paid job for me...

What bugs me is when Companies House screw up (as they have done twice in the last 5 weeks) and I have to explain to them that Acts of Parliament take precedence over their own internal guidebooks. I don't derive any income from sorting out Companies House screw-ups!!

-(

(Sorry about the moan, but I've just spent ages on the phone to CH and when they eventually admitted they were wrong they didn't even apologise!!)

Kit

Message #13 - Posted 2007/01/15 - Bonge Boo

Kit wrote:

Previously, Bonge Boo wrote:

No one ever claimed Apple designed computers to be serviced easily...

True, but with the advent of the G4 desktop they made a big improvement. Opening up a G4 and swapping bits is MUCH easier than a G3 and earlier models. Based on that I I was hoping that newer PBs would be easier than Pismo or old iBook...

The Pismo , Lombard and Wall Street was the height of Apple's laptop design in many respects. The TiBooks are faily easy to work on. The Powerbook 12" and 15" Alu are a right bitch; the 17" is fairly pleasant.

Message #14 - Posted 2007/01/15 - Jon B

Peter Ceresole wrote:

Bonge Boo wrote:

the PRAM battery lives.

Under the DVD AFAIR.

So not trivial, as you say.

Quite, it isn't DVD drive out of a 12" PB difficult, but it isn't G4 tower easy either.

Jon B
Above email address IS valid.
<http://www.bramley-computers.co.uk/> Apple Laptop Repairs.

Message #15 - Posted 2007/01/15 - Jon B

Sara Kirk wrote:

Previously, Kit wrote:

Previously, Bonge Boo wrote:

Could I suggest you don't try to fit this yourself? You seem not to know what computer you are going to be working on and that's somewhat important. Its not a trivial fit.

Thanks for the advice...

Surely on a properly designed computer replacing a PRAM battery SHOULD be a relatively trivial thing? After all, the batteries will need replacing every couple of years and so there should be no excuse for the manufacturer making it as difficult as changing a hard drive.

Also, just because my friend didn't accurately specify his laptop to me over the phone doesn't mean that I will be incapable of replacing the battery when I find out what it is. I have in the past successfully upgraded HDDs in both a Pismo and a clamshell iBook, and the latter certainly is NOT a trivial task!

-)

Is replacing a PRAM battery in a 1.67GHz PB more difficult than replacing the HDD in a ckamshell iBook?

Have a look through the appropriate guide and make your own mind up - I'd probably go for it.

<http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/>

Yes but you've also tackled replacing a hinge in an iBook, a task many would run away from ;) it is obviously do-able, just as Bonge Boo states, not really a job for a novice.

Jon B
Above email address IS valid.
<http://www.bramley-computers.co.uk/> Apple Laptop Repairs.

Message #16 - Posted 2007/01/15 - Jon B

Kit wrote:

Previously, Jon B wrote:

Kit wrote:

Hi,

Please can anyone confirm (or deny!) that the backup/PRAM battery in a 500 Mhz 17" G4 Ti Powerbook is the the same as in the G4 desktop models - i.e. a 1/2 AA 3.6V lithium battery?

No they aren't (presume you mean a 15" 500mhz),

Sorry.
I just checked with my friend who now informs me that it is a 17" 1.67 GHz Ti G4 PB.
Does that affect your answer?

Well it makes it yet another custom battery for that model, still not a pretty price.

they are a custom
battery, around £70 + delivery.

OUCH!

-)

VIS are quoting 12 days to get hold of
one (part number 922-4361).

Thanks for the info.
Who/what is VIS? Do you have the URL?

<http://www.applemacparts.co.uk/>

They don't currently list the 1.67 17" battery but they do for other models, I do have another UK supplier but you can't buy direct. --
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.
<http://www.bramley-computers.co.uk/> Apple Laptop Repairs.

Message #17 - Posted 2007/01/15 - Kit

Previously, Sara Kirk wrote:

Have a look through the appropriate guide and make your own mind up - I'd probably go for it.

<http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/>

Thanks for that.

I believe that is within my skill range. Of course I will point out to my friend the caveat (possible cosmetic damage) mentioned by Bonge Boo and see if he still wants me to do it.

Kit

Message #18 - Posted 2007/01/15 - Sara Kirk

Previously, Jon B wrote:

Yes but you've also tackled replacing a hinge in an iBook, a task many would run away from ;) it is obviously do-able, just as Bonge Boo states, not really a job for a novice.

That did age me somewhat! Mind you, the dear old thing is still running along nicely so it was worth the effort.

Sara

"I have an inadequate of the tech"
Jim, ucsm

Message #19 - Posted 2007/01/15 - Jaimie Vandenbergh

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 15:06:55 +0000, Sara Kirk wrote:

Previously, Jon B wrote:

Yes but you've also tackled replacing a hinge in an iBook, a task many would run away from ;) it is obviously do-able, just as Bonge Boo states, not really a job for a novice.

That did age me somewhat! Mind you, the dear old thing is still running along nicely so it was worth the effort.

Doing better than me. Last week I killed a computer while fixing it, for the first time ever. Went in to bolt the hinge back together, and now it doesn't boot. Embarassing. Admittedly a shonky old cheapy P3 laptop, but still. Gave the owner one of my own shonky old laptops in reimbursement, which she was actually rather pleased with! Shame it wasn't a Mac, or it'd be on-topic.

Cheers - Jaimie

"Once you adopt the unix paradigm, the variants cease to be a problem - you bitch, of course, but that's because bitching is fun, unlike M$ OS's, where bitching is required to keep your head from exploding." - S Stremler in afc

Message #20 - Posted 2007/01/15 - Sara Kirk

Previously, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 15:06:55 +0000, Sara Kirk wrote:

Previously, Jon B wrote:

Yes but you've also tackled replacing a hinge in an iBook, a task many would run away from ;) it is obviously do-able, just as Bonge Boo states, not really a job for a novice.

That did age me somewhat! Mind you, the dear old thing is still running along nicely so it was worth the effort.

Doing better than me. Last week I killed a computer while fixing it, for the first time ever. Went in to bolt the hinge back together, and now it doesn't boot. Embarassing. Admittedly a shonky old cheapy P3 laptop, but still. Gave the owner one of my own shonky old laptops in reimbursement, which she was actually rather pleased with! Shame it wasn't a Mac, or it'd be on-topic.

Can't remember if it was before the hinge replacement or after, but that iBook also had the power board replaced and I thought I'd killed it then. After replacing the board, plugged it in and... nothing. It just wouldn't work in Wales, no response at all. I brought it back to Hampton, plugged it in, in a "one last try" sort of mood, and it worked. I was rather grateful for that.

Sara

"I have an inadequate of the tech"
Jim, ucsm

Message #21 - Posted 2007/01/15 - Graeme Wall

In message Sara Kirk <sarakirk@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

Can't remember if it was before the hinge replacement or after, but that iBook also had the power board replaced and I thought I'd killed it then. After replacing the board, plugged it in and... nothing. It just wouldn't work in Wales, no response at all. I brought it back to Hampton, plugged it in, in a "one last try" sort of mood, and it worked. I was rather grateful for that.

I wondered why you called it Ann Robinson...

Graeme Wall

My genealogy website:
<http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/genealogy/index.html>

Message #22 - Posted 2007/01/15 - Peter Ceresole

Sara Kirk wrote:

It just
wouldn't work in Wales, no response at all. I brought it back to Hampton, plugged it in, in a "one last try" sort of mood, and it worked.

Oh golly... Not a portent, I hope?

Peter

Message #23 - Posted 2007/01/15 - Jon B

Sara Kirk wrote:

Previously, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 15:06:55 +0000, Sara Kirk wrote:

Previously, Jon B wrote:

Yes but you've also tackled replacing a hinge in an iBook, a task many would run away from ;) it is obviously do-able, just as Bonge Boo states, not really a job for a novice.

That did age me somewhat! Mind you, the dear old thing is still running along nicely so it was worth the effort.

Doing better than me. Last week I killed a computer while fixing it, for the first time ever. Went in to bolt the hinge back together, and now it doesn't boot. Embarassing. Admittedly a shonky old cheapy P3 laptop, but still. Gave the owner one of my own shonky old laptops in reimbursement, which she was actually rather pleased with! Shame it wasn't a Mac, or it'd be on-topic.

Can't remember if it was before the hinge replacement or after, but that iBook also had the power board replaced and I thought I'd killed it then. After replacing the board, plugged it in and... nothing. It just wouldn't work in Wales, no response at all. I brought it back to Hampton, plugged it in, in a "one last try" sort of mood, and it worked. I was rather grateful for that.

That was later. Maybe it just didn't like Wales?

Jon B
Above email address IS valid.
<http://www.bramley-computers.co.uk/> Apple Laptop Repairs.

Message #24 - Posted 2007/01/15 - Sara Kirk

Previously, Jon B wrote:

Can't remember if it was before the hinge replacement or after, but that iBook also had the power board replaced and I thought I'd killed it then. After replacing the board, plugged it in and... nothing. It just wouldn't work in Wales, no response at all. I brought it back to Hampton, plugged it in, in a "one last try" sort of mood, and it worked. I was rather grateful for that.

That was later. Maybe it just didn't like Wales?

Aww - how could it not like Wales?

Sara

"I have an inadequate of the tech"
Jim, ucsm

Message #25 - Posted 2007/01/15 - Sara Kirk

Previously, Peter Ceresole wrote:

Sara Kirk wrote:

It just
wouldn't work in Wales, no response at all. I brought it back to Hampton, plugged it in, in a "one last try" sort of mood, and it worked.

Oh golly... Not a portent, I hope?

Well, just in case, Roger's moving to Hampton.

Sara

"I have an inadequate of the tech"
Jim, ucsm

Message #26 - Posted 2007/01/16 - Hugh Browton

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 14:48:43 +0000, Kit wrote (in a previous article):

Previously, Sara Kirk wrote:

Have a look through the appropriate guide and make your own mind up - I'd probably go for it.

<http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/>

Thanks for that.

I believe that is within my skill range. Of course I will point out to my friend the caveat (possible cosmetic damage) mentioned by Bonge Boo and see if he still wants me to do it.

Or send it to Jon B, I send him most of my laptop work now. It keeps my "will it work when I put it back together?" stress levels to a very low level! Pleasure doing business with you Jon!

regards
hugh
hugh at clarity point uk point co
(by the sea) (using Hogwasher)

You never can truly tell when you have run out of invisible ink.

Need Help? Have a Question?

Looking for more help, comments, and answers?

Ask your questions on Ask Different. Ask Different is a community of Apple users ready to help.