The conversation on this page has been archived and is no longer active.

G3 Turns On, No Boot

Message #1 - Posted 2004/10/20 - Mike Scott

I have a 266MHz G3 that turns on but doesn't boot. I purchased this second hand and I'm trying to see whether it can be fixed. I replaced the battery with no luck and even no battery in the system does the same thing (turns on, but no boot).

I'm guessing a replacement logic board is needed. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Message #2 - Posted 2004/10/19 - Jeff Kelleher

Previously, Mike Scott wrote:

I have a 266MHz G3 that turns on but doesn't boot. I purchased this second hand and I'm trying to see whether it can be fixed. I replaced the battery with no luck and even no battery in the system does the same thing (turns on, but no boot).

I'm guessing a replacement logic board is needed. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

When you say no boot, does this mean a flashing ? or just a blank screen. There's a BIG difference.

Jeff K

Message #3 - Posted 2004/10/19 - Dave Balderstone

Previously, Mike Scott wrote:

I have a 266MHz G3 that turns on but doesn't boot. I purchased this second hand and I'm trying to see whether it can be fixed. I replaced the battery with no luck and even no battery in the system does the same thing (turns on, but no boot).

From internal drive, CD or both?

Message #4 - Posted 2004/10/20 - Don Bruder

Previously, Jeff Kelleher wrote:

Previously, Mike Scott wrote:

I have a 266MHz G3 that turns on but doesn't boot. I purchased this second hand and I'm trying to see whether it can be fixed. I replaced the battery with no luck and even no battery in the system does the same thing (turns on, but no boot).

I'm guessing a replacement logic board is needed. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

When you say no boot, does this mean a flashing ? or just a blank screen. There's a BIG difference.

No, Jeff, that's not a "BIG" difference... It's a life-and-death, absolutely critical, monster of a honkin' huge mondo difference!

Git yer facts straight :)

But seriously...

Wthout more info on the "doesn't boot", there ain't much way to help diagnose the beast. What, if anything, are you seeing on the screen when you fire it up, Mike? Like Jeff says, there are AT LEAST two "doesn't boot" scenarios, and they're COMPLETELY different from each other - One indicates "no OS on the disk", or some similar "I want to, but I just can't do it" software problem situation, the other most likely means hardware trouble.

First step: Figure out which one it is - If you've got a flashing "?", it's PROBABLY a software problem (most likely, a lack of it, or inability to find it), but might be a HD failure. No anything on screen probably means a hardware problem of some sort - How serious is hard to say without more information - Could be as simple as an improperly seated RAM module or processor, could be as hairy as a totally cooked motherboard.

And what (if any) speaker noises does it make when you power it up? That can be another important clue. No noise tends to point at a processor problem - As in "not properly seated" - since making the noise requires a functional CPU. Usual "Bong" followed by nothing on screen would make me think RAM or HD issues. "Bong" followed by flashing "?" pinpoints it to "no OS" or "OS unloadable for some reason". (might be a drive failure/corruption, might be just that the previous owner wiped the disk before selling it on down the line) Breaking glass/car crash means you've got some serious problems, but that *SHOULD* be accompanied by what used to be called a "Sad-mac" code on the screen that'll help diagnose what part of the power-on testing failed.

Get back to us with more info, and I'm sure SOMEBODY around here can help you out...

Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004. Short form: I'm trashing EVERY E-mail that doesn't contain a password in the subject unless it comes from a "whitelisted" (pre-approved by me) address. See <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html> for full details.

Message #5 - Posted 2004/10/20 - Cathy Stevenson

Previously, Mike Scott wrote:

I have a 266MHz G3 that turns on but doesn't boot. I purchased this second hand and I'm trying to see whether it can be fixed. I replaced the battery with no luck and even no battery in the system does the same thing (turns on, but no boot).

I'm guessing a replacement logic board is needed. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

You might try booting in PRAM reset mode. I believe that I had to do that with my G3/266 after replacing the battery.

Cathy

"there's a dance or two in the old dame yet." - mehitabel

C.Stevenson, M.D.
cats1921@sonic.netinvalid

Need Help? Have a Question?

Looking for more help, comments, and answers?

Ask your questions on Ask Different. Ask Different is a community of Apple users ready to help.