The conversation on this page has been archived and is no longer active.

G4 will deep sleep, but not automatically

Message #1 - Posted 2003/07/21 - Steven Kan

My G4/450DP running 10.2.6 will deep-sleep if I press the power button or if I select Sleep from the Apple menu, but if I just let it sit there for 30-60 minutes, it only goes into light sleep (e.g. screen goes dark and drives spin down, but the fans stay on).

I checked my Energy Saver settings, and "Separate sleep" and "Spin down HDs" are both un-checked.

Anything else to look at? Thanks!

[please see related post about telnet sleeping!]

Message #2 - Posted 2003/07/22 - Kevin McMurtrie

Previously, Steven Kan wrote:

My G4/450DP running 10.2.6 will deep-sleep if I press the power button or if I select Sleep from the Apple menu, but if I just let it sit there for 30-60 minutes, it only goes into light sleep (e.g. screen goes dark and drives spin down, but the fans stay on).

I checked my Energy Saver settings, and "Separate sleep" and "Spin down HDs" are both un-checked.

Anything else to look at? Thanks!

[please see related post about telnet sleeping!]

Check the CPU usage. It won't sleep if a process is using a lot of CPU time.

Message #3 - Posted 2003/07/22 - Phil Lefebvre

Previously, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

Previously, Steven Kan wrote:

My G4/450DP running 10.2.6 will deep-sleep if I press the power button or if I select Sleep from the Apple menu, but if I just let it sit there for 30-60 minutes, it only goes into light sleep (e.g. screen goes dark and drives spin down, but the fans stay on).

I checked my Energy Saver settings, and "Separate sleep" and "Spin down HDs" are both un-checked.

Anything else to look at? Thanks!

[please see related post about telnet sleeping!]

Certain (actually many) older PCI cards will interfere with deep sleep. SCSI cards, video cards, etc. xlr8yourmac.com trys to keep track of some of them, and is a good place to get familiar with the issue.

Also, some hubs and other peripherals can interfere with deep sleep. Try this: strip the machine back to stock, set sleep to 1 minute, then start adding back devices until you find the culprit.

Chicago, IL
Remove "GO" to reply.

Message #4 - Posted 2003/07/23 - Mel Comisarow

MY DP450 has the same problem that Steve Kan's DP450 has. I had an Adaptac 2930 SCSI board installed that I quit using when I replaced my Jaz and Syquest SCSI drives by a Firewire CD burner. So I removed the SCSI board and any file that had Adaptec in its name. Same old problem.

Are their other files witaout Adaptec in their name, which were necessary for proper Adaptec 2930 operation that I could now remove?

Thanks.

Previously, Phil Lefebvre wrote:

Previously, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

Previously, Steven Kan wrote:

My G4/450DP running 10.2.6 will deep-sleep if I press the power button or if I select Sleep from the Apple menu, but if I just let it sit there for 30-60 minutes, it only goes into light sleep (e.g. screen goes dark and drives spin down, but the fans stay on).

I checked my Energy Saver settings, and "Separate sleep" and "Spin down HDs" are both un-checked.

Anything else to look at? Thanks!

[please see related post about telnet sleeping!]

Certain (actually many) older PCI cards will interfere with deep sleep. SCSI cards, video cards, etc. xlr8yourmac.com trys to keep track of some of them, and is a good place to get familiar with the issue.

Also, some hubs and other peripherals can interfere with deep sleep. Try this: strip the machine back to stock, set sleep to 1 minute, then start adding back devices until you find the culprit.

Message #5 - Posted 2003/07/23 - Phil Lefebvre

Previously, Mel Comisarow wrote:

MY DP450 has the same problem that Steve Kan's DP450 has. I had an Adaptac 2930 SCSI board installed that I quit using when I replaced my Jaz and Syquest SCSI drives by a Firewire CD burner. So I removed the SCSI board and any file that had Adaptec in its name. Same old problem.

Are their other files witaout Adaptec in their name, which were necessary for proper Adaptec 2930 operation that I could now remove?

Actually, the latest drivers should allow deep sleep with the 2930. I have a 2930 in my Dual 1 GHz and deep sleep works fine. Regardless, once you pull the card the drivers won't load, so that is not your problem.

Chicago, IL
Remove "GO" to reply.

Need Help? Have a Question?

Looking for more help, comments, and answers?

Ask your questions on Ask Different. Ask Different is a community of Apple users ready to help.