The conversation on this page has been archived and is no longer active.

iBook loses cable connection

Message #1 - Posted 2004/03/23 - David Coleman

At times my iBook somehow gets knocked off line, in other words I lose the connection with my cable isp, usually after using iTunes through a firewire interface (a Motu 828 mkII), after unplugging the firewire cable. I haven't figured out the exact sequence of events that bring this on, but restarting the computer reconnects it and brings me back online.

Anyone know what could be causing the disconnect, or perhaps an easier way to reconnect besides restarting the computer?

Thanks,
Dave

iBook 600/10.3.3

Message #2 - Posted 2004/03/23 - David Coleman

Previously, David Coleman wrote:

At times my iBook somehow gets knocked off line, in other words I lose the connection with my cable isp, usually after using iTunes through a firewire interface (a Motu 828 mkII), after unplugging the firewire cable. I haven't figured out the exact sequence of events that bring this on, but restarting the computer reconnects it and brings me back online.

Anyone know what could be causing the disconnect, or perhaps an easier way to reconnect besides restarting the computer?

Thanks,
Dave

iBook 600/10.3.3

Actually I just lost my connection again after the iBook woke from sleep. This problem seems to have started or worsened after the 10.3.3 update...

Thanks again for any ideas.
Dave

Message #3 - Posted 2004/03/24 - Kerry Langley

Happens to my iBook fairly often after sleep as well. We also have networked to the cable a Quicksilver G4 and a Sony Vaio PC. The G4 sometimes loses the connection as well after sleep but the PC never does. Our solution has been to restart which can get annoying. Guess it must be something with the system software. We also would appreciate any new solutions. Kerry

Previously, David Coleman wrote:

At times my iBook somehow gets knocked off line, in other words I lose the connection with my cable isp, usually after using iTunes through a firewire interface (a Motu 828 mkII), after unplugging the firewire cable. I haven't figured out the exact sequence of events that bring this on, but restarting the computer reconnects it and brings me back online.

Anyone know what could be causing the disconnect, or perhaps an easier way to reconnect besides restarting the computer?

Thanks,
Dave

iBook 600/10.3.3

Actually I just lost my connection again after the iBook woke from sleep. This problem seems to have started or worsened after the 10.3.3 update...

Thanks again for any ideas.
Dave

Message #4 - Posted 2004/03/26 - William Maslin

Previously, Kerry Langley wrote:

Happens to my iBook fairly often after sleep as well. We also have networked to the cable a Quicksilver G4 and a Sony Vaio PC. The G4 sometimes loses the connection as well after sleep but the PC never does. Our solution has been to restart which can get annoying. Guess it must be something with the system software. We also would appreciate any new solutions. Kerry

Previously, David Coleman wrote:

At times my iBook somehow gets knocked off line, in other words I lose the connection with my cable isp, usually after using iTunes through a firewire interface (a Motu 828 mkII), after unplugging the firewire cable. I haven't figured out the exact sequence of events that bring this on, but restarting the computer reconnects it and brings me back online.

Anyone know what could be causing the disconnect, or perhaps an easier way to reconnect besides restarting the computer?

Thanks,
Dave

iBook 600/10.3.3

Actually I just lost my connection again after the iBook woke from sleep. This problem seems to have started or worsened after the 10.3.3 update...

There was a recent post that said that quitting the Finder and reopening might work to restore connections rather than having to restart the computer. My daughter's iBook 900 also loses the cable modem connection occasionally. I emailed her the Finder quit suggestion but keep forgetting to ask her if it worked.

Bill

--

Take out the invalid if replying by email

Message #5 - Posted 2004/03/28 - David Coleman

Previously, William Maslin <maslin@cvm.msstate.edu.invalid> wrote:>

There was a recent post that said that quitting the Finder and reopening

might work to restore connections rather than having to restart the computer. My daughter's iBook 900 also loses the cable modem connection occasionally. I emailed her the Finder quit suggestion but keep forgetting to ask her if it worked.

I tried the last couple of times and it doesn't work for me. This is really gettin aggravating. This only started happening so often with the 10.3.3 update...

Anyone else know of any workarounds besides restarting to re-establish the cable connection?

(At least 10.3.3 starts up very quickly!)

David

Message #6 - Posted 2004/03/29 - John Johnson

Previously, David Coleman wrote:

Previously, William Maslin <maslin@cvm.msstate.edu.invalid> wrote:>

There was a recent post that said that quitting the Finder and reopening

might work to restore connections rather than having to restart the computer. My daughter's iBook 900 also loses the cable modem connection occasionally. I emailed her the Finder quit suggestion but keep forgetting to ask her if it worked.

I tried the last couple of times and it doesn't work for me. This is really gettin aggravating. This only started happening so often with the 10.3.3 update...

Anyone else know of any workarounds besides restarting to re-establish the cable connection?

(At least 10.3.3 starts up very quickly!)

David

Does logging out and logging back in restore the connection?

Does resetting the cable modem or router restore the connection?

I've got a setup here (DSL, but see...) where the DSL modem connects to an old Graphite AirPort BS, and thence to the three computers in the house. Occasionally (more last fall than in the winter) all computers will lose connection to the network. When this first happened, logging out and back in would sometimes re-establish the connection, but usually resetting the BS was necessary.

My suspicion is that power fluctuation causes the BS to hang, and resetting it (pulling the power and plugging it back in) solves the problem. I keep on meaning to get a UPS for it, but...well the semester gets in the way.

It's possible that your situation is similar, but it might not be. There, I'm covered no matter what. ;-)
HTH

Message #7 - Posted 2004/03/31 - Jennifer Mullen

In <dc-44A95F.19091628032004@news.east.cox.net>
David Coleman wrote:

I tried the last couple of times and it doesn't work for me. This is really gettin aggravating. This only started happening so often with the 10.3.3 update...

Anyone else know of any workarounds besides restarting to re-establish the cable connection?

In Terminal:

sudo ifconfig en0 down ; sudo ifconfig en0 up

Jennifer Mullen
redjen@psu.edu

Message #8 - Posted 2004/03/31 - Pete Verdon

Jennifer Mullen wrote:

David Coleman wrote:

Anyone else know of any workarounds besides restarting to re-establish the cable connection?

In Terminal:

sudo ifconfig en0 down ; sudo ifconfig en0 up

Mmm, I can see I'm going to like OS X. I've got used to that kind of no-nonsense grabbing the hardware and making it do what you want on Linux, and it's nice to see all my old stuff is still going to be there.

David, if you need to do this thing often, consider putting Jennifer's commands into a file:

#!/bin/bash

ifconfig en0 down
ifconfig en0 up

Call it whatever you want, preferably something short since the whole point is to be able to type it quickly, and put it in somewhere that's in your $PATH. You'll also need to give it the file property of being executable.

Then you should be able to type its name from anywhere in the Terminal, and have your new little program run. If OS X is halfway decent there ought to be a way to turn it into an icon too.

I realise some of my instructions are rather vague - this is because I don't actually have a Mac yet and I don't know how similar it is to the Linux and Solaris that I know. I'm sure others here can fill in the details if you're interested.

Pete

Message #9 - Posted 2004/03/31 - David Coleman

Previously, Jennifer Mullen wrote:

In David Coleman <dc@notvalid.net> wrote:

I tried the last couple of times and it doesn't work for me. This is really gettin aggravating. This only started happening so often with the 10.3.3 update...

Anyone else know of any workarounds besides restarting to re-establish the cable connection?

In Terminal:

sudo ifconfig en0 down ; sudo ifconfig en0 up

Thank you Jennifer! Worked like a charm...

Dave

Message #10 - Posted 2004/04/01 - Sander Tekelenburg

Previously, Pete Verdon wrote:

[...]

David, if you need to do this thing often, consider putting Jennifer's commands into a file:

#!/bin/bash

ifconfig en0 down
ifconfig en0 up

Call it whatever you want, preferably something short since the whole point is to be able to type it quickly, and put it in somewhere that's in your $PATH. You'll also need to give it the file property of being executable.

Then you should be able to type its name from anywhere in the Terminal, and have your new little program run. If OS X is halfway decent there ought to be a way to turn it into an icon too.

You can, and then run it from the Script menu (enablable from /Applications/AppleScript/Install Script Menu). I forget how to do that with shell scripts, so I just turn these things into AppleScript scripts:

do shell script "ifconfig en0 down; ifconfig en0 up"

Save it as a compiled script into ~/Library/Scripts

Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>

Message #11 - Posted 2004/03/31 - Wes Groleau

Sander Tekelenburg wrote:

David, if you need to do this thing often, consider putting Jennifer's commands into a file:

#!/bin/bash

ifconfig en0 down
ifconfig en0 up

I used to have to do that often on 10.1.5 for an ethernet connection to a FreeBSD box. Since 10.3.2, I don't have to do it any more.

(Well, I still have to do it on FreeBSD 4.9 every time
the Mac reboots, But before, I had to do it on both machines any time either rebooted.)

Wes Groleau
"Ideas are more powerful than guns,
We would not let our enemies have guns;
why should we let them have ideas?"
-- Jozef Stalin

Message #12 - Posted 2004/04/01 - David Coleman

Previously, David Coleman wrote:

Previously, Jennifer Mullen wrote:

In David Coleman <dc@notvalid.net> wrote:

I tried the last couple of times and it doesn't work for me. This is really gettin aggravating. This only started happening so often with the 10.3.3 update...

Anyone else know of any workarounds besides restarting to re-establish the cable connection?

In Terminal:

sudo ifconfig en0 down ; sudo ifconfig en0 up

Thank you Jennifer! Worked like a charm...

Er...spoke too soon here. Subsequent attempts didn't work and I had to restart again to get back online. Or maybe I'm not using the terminal app right; I pasted the above in at the cursor prompt, then hit enter; is that right?

Anyway no luck, so I'm thinking the one time it seemed to work may have been a coincidence. What about the 10.3.3 update is causing this? With previous versions I woke from sleep still online....

Thanks for all the responses.
Dave

Need Help? Have a Question?

Looking for more help, comments, and answers?

Ask your questions on Ask Different. Ask Different is a community of Apple users ready to help.