The conversation on this page has been archived and is no longer active.

Mac pro power supply replacement

Message #1 - Posted 2011/12/15 - JF Mezei

My 2009 Mac Pro power supply is failing. It took over an hour of trying after a power failure before it powered the machine on. (it would click, lights in room dim a bit and about 3 secodns later, click "off". No chime).

Have now spent 2 hours on the phone with various apple departments to find a way to order the power supply. The local Apple store won't give me the time of day, they say that I have to bring the whole unit in with an appointment with genius bar before they decide to check to see if they have the part in stock. Ideally, if I must bring the whole machine in, I want to do it when I know they have the part in stock so they can just swap it right there. (the whole design of the Mac pro is to enable such easy swapping).

Appple Care ( I don't have that machine on apple care) suggested I go to an authorized service/sales 3rd party to order the part.

Anyone have any experience on this ? Is there truly no way to order the part from Apple anymore ?

I am not willing to leave my machine for weeks at the apple store. (esepcially during holidays).

Message #2 - Posted 2011/12/15 - nospam

Previously, JF Mezei wrote:

Anyone have any experience on this ? Is there truly no way to order the part from Apple anymore ?

official apple stores won't let you buy parts but some (not all) apple dealers will. there are also places on line to order whatever part you need.

I am not willing to leave my machine for weeks at the apple store. (esepcially during holidays).

it will probably be overnight if they have the part in stock, possibly even same day if you get there early enough.

Message #3 - Posted 2011/12/15 - JF Mezei

nospam wrote:

official apple stores won't let you buy parts but some (not all) apple dealers will. there are also places on line to order whatever part you need.

I was susprised at this. You can get disk drives, memory from them, I would have thought a power supply would have been available too.

I used Mr Google and indeed, it seems to be available from 3rd parties. Would have prefered to spend the money at AAPL since I knew I'd be getting genuine parts and a tiny portion of a penny would come back to me through AAPL share price increase :-)

Those things are not cheap, and the price varies a lot.

it will probably be overnight if they have the part in stock, possibly even same day if you get there early enough.

My beef is that they are unwilling to tell me if they have the part in stock unless I bring my machine in AND have an appointment with Genius. The whole point would be for me to ensure that they do have the part in stock when I bring it in. Since this is not under warrantee and since I am paying for the part, I don't see why Apple would be so restrictive.

Message #4 - Posted 2011/12/15 - nospam

Previously, JF Mezei wrote:

I used Mr Google and indeed, it seems to be available from 3rd parties. Would have prefered to spend the money at AAPL since I knew I'd be getting genuine parts and a tiny portion of a penny would come back to me through AAPL share price increase :-)

Those things are not cheap, and the price varies a lot.

indeed. when i swapped a display cable on my ibook, i found prices from about $15 to over $200, for just a cable.

it will probably be overnight if they have the part in stock, possibly even same day if you get there early enough.

My beef is that they are unwilling to tell me if they have the part in stock unless I bring my machine in AND have an appointment with Genius. The whole point would be for me to ensure that they do have the part in stock when I bring it in. Since this is not under warrantee and since I am paying for the part, I don't see why Apple would be so restrictive.

you will need to lug it in and have an appointment but there is a small chance they might fix it for free. chances are they won't but you never know.

Message #5 - Posted 2011/12/15 - paulfuchs

nospam wrote:

Previously, JF Mezei wrote:

I used Mr Google and indeed, it seems to be available from 3rd parties. Would have prefered to spend the money at AAPL since I knew I'd be getting genuine parts and a tiny portion of a penny would come back to me through AAPL share price increase :-)

Those things are not cheap, and the price varies a lot.

indeed. when i swapped a display cable on my ibook, i found prices from about $15 to over $200, for just a cable.

it will probably be overnight if they have the part in stock, possibly even same day if you get there early enough.

My beef is that they are unwilling to tell me if they have the part in stock unless I bring my machine in AND have an appointment with Genius. The whole point would be for me to ensure that they do have the part in stock when I bring it in. Since this is not under warrantee and since I am paying for the part, I don't see why Apple would be so restrictive.

you will need to lug it in and have an appointment but there is a small chance they might fix it for free. chances are they won't but you never know.

I have been using Apple computers and the OS since 1990 (SE/30) and wouldn't switch now, but I do not enjoy getting hosed for the parts at three or four times the price of a comparable part for a windows box, particularly as I retired and am on a limited budget now. I have a 2.5 year old MacBook and the battery warped so badly that it was squeezing the clicker and causing all sorts of trouble. The Apple store wanted $129 a new one. I found an outfit on eBay in CA that was selling them for $34 postage paid with a 99% feedback. I bought two of them. After two months they seem to be just as good as the OEM.

Message #6 - Posted 2011/12/15 - Jolly Roger

Previously, JF Mezei wrote:

My 2009 Mac Pro power supply is failing. It took over an hour of trying after a power failure before it powered the machine on. (it would click, lights in room dim a bit and about 3 secodns later, click "off". No chime).

Have now spent 2 hours on the phone with various apple departments to find a way to order the power supply. The local Apple store won't give me the time of day, they say that I have to bring the whole unit in with an appointment with genius bar before they decide to check to see if they have the part in stock. Ideally, if I must bring the whole machine in, I want to do it when I know they have the part in stock so they can just swap it right there. (the whole design of the Mac pro is to enable such easy swapping).

Right, but they probably want to diagnose the machine before assuming it's the power supply. And of course they want to make money for the repair if you let them do it. : D

Appple Care ( I don't have that machine on apple care) suggested I go to an authorized service/sales 3rd party to order the part.

Anyone have any experience on this ? Is there truly no way to order the part from Apple anymore ?

I am not willing to leave my machine for weeks at the apple store. (esepcially during holidays).

If you are dead set on doing the repair yourself, and you are sure the problem is the power supply, I wouldn't bother trying to get it from Apple. Not only will that be outside of their standard operating procedure, but it would also almost certainly be more costly than necessary. I would identify the exact part you need, and get it online from some other place. You can start by searching Google for "Mac Pro (Early 2009) power supply". It looks like the power supply you want is the 661-5011. You can usually find such parts at places like We Love Macs, Mac Parts Online, DV Warehouse, etc. Shop around and I bet you'll find one fairly cheap. Then it's just a matter of ordering it and replacing it.

Send responses to the relevant news group rather than email to me. E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my very hungry SPAM filter. Due to Google's refusal to prevent spammers from posting messages through their servers, I often ignore posts from Google Groups. Use a real news client if you want me to see your posts.

JR

Message #7 - Posted 2011/12/15 - nospam

Previously, <paulfuchs@porkain'tkosher.oink> wrote:

I have been using Apple computers and the OS since 1990 (SE/30) and wouldn't switch now, but I do not enjoy getting hosed for the parts at three or four times the price of a comparable part for a windows box, particularly as I retired and am on a limited budget now. I have a 2.5 year old MacBook and the battery warped so badly that it was squeezing the clicker and causing all sorts of trouble. The Apple store wanted $129 a new one. I found an outfit on eBay in CA that was selling them for $34 postage paid with a 99% feedback. I bought two of them. After two months they seem to be just as good as the OEM.

aftermarket batteries always cost less than originals. compare those to batteries from dell, sony, nikon, canon, etc. sometimes they work fine, sometimes they don't.

Message #8 - Posted 2011/12/16 - Zen

On 12/15/2011 07:35 PM, JF Mezei wrote:

The local Apple store won't give
me the time of day, they say that I have to bring the whole unit in with an appointment with genius bar before they decide to check to see if they have the part in stock.

Now, isn't this stupendous first quality service? In order to change my PSU, I'd have to walk to my closet and pick the one on my old computer :)

Very honestly, I find it *very unlikely* that a PSU of this quality has failed after just 2 years. Instead of spending 2 hours on the phone talking to great experts, I would have spent 15 minutes checking all connections.

What we're talking about here is an Apple equivalent of this PSU with a 7 year guarantee:

<http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657%20600014025&IsNodeId=1&name=901W%20-%201000W>

Lord, I wouldn't like to be a Mac user! On the net there's one place where they ask $459 for the thingy. They offer a... 30 days guarantee. Another place, it's $209 or $239 with a 90 days guarantee. Often the terms are not indicated.

If the contacts are OK, dealing with an Apple store is probably a safer bet. It might also be a new capacitor plague on the mobo. Who knows? As you note, installation of a PSU on a Mac Pro shouldn't be too expensive. As a matter of fact, given the profit they would make on replacing a 2 years old PSU, it should be free.

Happy Christmas time!

Z

Message #9 - Posted 2011/12/16 - Lewis

In message JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:

I am not willing to leave my machine for weeks at the apple store. (esepcially during holidays).

Weeks?

I've never had a repair take more than three days at an Apple Store.

Hello Diane, I'm Bucky Goldstein
I CANNOT ABSOLVE SINS Bart chalkboard Ep. AABF14

Message #10 - Posted 2011/12/16 - JF Mezei

Lewis wrote:

Weeks?

I've never had a repair take more than three days at an Apple Store.

Since the local Apple store refuses to tell me if they have the part in stock, at this time of year, this is how long it *might* take for them to repair the machine if they need to order it. Or so I was told yesterday by that store. (remember that this is holiday season with partial weeks, and heavy activity at stores)

The thing is that I am not sure the blue shirted folks at the Genius bar can *really* diagnose a Mac Pro. Not something they fix often.

Message #11 - Posted 2011/12/16 - Zen

On 12/16/2011 02:56 PM, JF Mezei wrote:

The thing is that I am not sure the blue shirted folks at the Genius bar can *really* diagnose a Mac Pro. Not something they fix often.

Why should it be harder to diagnose a Mac Pro PSU than a Mini's or iMac's? Microbytes can do it... well at least on PCs. And you can do it yourself with a voltmeter. Check on the net.

Shit, I do understand you pay a fortune for service but the reality is there is none, none really efficient. So face reality, go to Google and look for which 2 pins you should check.

Lord, the pain your blind faith in Apple puts you through is unbelievable.

Message #12 - Posted 2011/12/16 - Király

Lewis wrote:

Weeks?

I've never had a repair take more than three days at an Apple Store.

I had an eMac in a repair shop for three weeks. The logic board it needed was on back order. The shop had to wait for Apple to manufacture more logic boards and get them shipped out.

K.

Lang may your lum reek.

Message #13 - Posted 2011/12/16 - Zen

On 12/15/2011 08:00 PM, nospam wrote:

In article, JF Mezei<jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:

Anyone have any experience on this ? Is there truly no way to order the part from Apple anymore ?

official apple stores won't let you buy parts but some (not all) apple dealers will. there are also places on line to order whatever part you need.

Owning a Mac is so much fun! If I need any part for my PC, any computer store will sell me any part I want.

I am not willing to leave my machine for weeks at the apple store. (esepcially during holidays).

it will probably be overnight if they have the part in stock, possibly even same day if you get there early enough.

Yeah, you just take a one day walk around the store.

Message #14 - Posted 2011/12/16 - Zen

On 12/15/2011 09:31 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:

In article, JF Mezei<jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:

My 2009 Mac Pro power supply is failing. It took over an hour of trying after a power failure before it powered the machine on. (it would click, lights in room dim a bit and about 3 secodns later, click "off". No chime).

Have now spent 2 hours on the phone with various apple departments to find a way to order the power supply. The local Apple store won't give me the time of day, they say that I have to bring the whole unit in with an appointment with genius bar before they decide to check to see if they have the part in stock. Ideally, if I must bring the whole machine in, I want to do it when I know they have the part in stock so they can just swap it right there. (the whole design of the Mac pro is to enable such easy swapping).

Right, but they probably want to diagnose the machine before assuming it's the power supply. And of course they want to make money for the repair if you let them do it. : D

Appple Care ( I don't have that machine on apple care) suggested I go to an authorized service/sales 3rd party to order the part.

Anyone have any experience on this ? Is there truly no way to order the part from Apple anymore ?

I am not willing to leave my machine for weeks at the apple store. (esepcially during holidays).

If you are dead set on doing the repair yourself, and you are sure the problem is the power supply, I wouldn't bother trying to get it from Apple. Not only will that be outside of their standard operating procedure

Shipping a part is outside their mormal operating procedure? ... ... ...

Oh yes, of course, their normal operating procedure is just fleecing Mac users.

but it would also almost certainly be more costly than necessary. (...) It looks like the power supply you want is the 661-5011.

The cheapest I saw was $209. Guarantees are from 30 to 90 days, when there is any mention of a guarantee. So, it's probably all refurbished stuff. Most probably, when an Apple store changes a PSU, not only do they charge you, they probably also sell the old PSU to shops. They make money both ways.

On a PC, you can get a 950 W PSU guaranteed for 7 years for $140. Brand new, of course!

So what do you call cheap?

Message #15 - Posted 2011/12/16 - Alan Browne

On 2011-12-15 19:35 , JF Mezei wrote:

My 2009 Mac Pro power supply is failing. It took over an hour of trying after a power failure before it powered the machine on. (it would click, lights in room dim a bit and about 3 secodns later, click "off". No chime).

Have now spent 2 hours on the phone with various apple departments to find a way to order the power supply. The local Apple store won't give me the time of day, they say that I have to bring the whole unit in with an appointment with genius bar before they decide to check to see if they have the part in stock. Ideally, if I must bring the whole machine

Apple Canada SUCK at customer support.

in, I want to do it when I know they have the part in stock so they can just swap it right there. (the whole design of the Mac pro is to enable such easy swapping).

Appple Care ( I don't have that machine on apple care) suggested I go to an authorized service/sales 3rd party to order the part.

Anyone have any experience on this ? Is there truly no way to order the part from Apple anymore ?

I am not willing to leave my machine for weeks at the apple store. (esepcially during holidays).

Unless you can find a 3rd party source (US?) you're stuffed. I'd get it in to the downtown store by Monday morning and you might have it by Friday - unless they fess up to a part in stock while you're there and actually replace it on the spot. Should take what? 5 minutes? Tops.

I went through much of the same crap as you're going through when my system disk was dying ( _and_ I had Apple Care ext. warranty). In no case could I get turnaround on the same day whether by the local Apple retailer (who has since gone out of business), Apple store in Laval or Apple downtown. It was all ""bring it in and we'll do what we can when we can do it"".

Luckily i) it was a HD which is a commodity part and ii) instructions on how to do it were all over the web (it's not hard - just getting started is a pain). So I did it myself and upgraded to a larger HD at the same time.

"I see!" said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Message #16 - Posted 2011/12/16 - Zen

On 12/16/2011 04:33 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

Luckily i) it was a HD which is a commodity part and ii) instructions on how to do it were all over the web (it's not hard - just getting started is a pain). So I did it myself and upgraded to a larger HD at the same time.

So, you pay twice the price for an Apple product. As if it wasn't enough, you pay for AppleCare... and you end up fixing it like an out of the one year guarantee PC.

Brownie, Jeeesos, your a Genios!

Message #17 - Posted 2011/12/16 - Zen

On 12/15/2011 08:25 PM, JF Mezei wrote:

nospam wrote:

official apple stores won't let you buy parts but some (not all) apple dealers will. there are also places on line to order whatever part you need.

I was susprised at this. You can get disk drives, memory from them

Indeed, but that's because if you don't get it from them, you can get it from anybody and find out that it's exactly the same stuff, except Apple's sticker is not on it.

Now that Apple has new proprietary HD, they might soon be harder to find too. I mean, why fuss around finding parts an a years olf Mac Pro when there's brand new iToys at Apple stores.

Message #18 - Posted 2011/12/16 - Zen

On 12/15/2011 08:43 PM, nospam wrote:

In article, JF Mezei<jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:

I used Mr Google and indeed, it seems to be available from 3rd parties. Would have prefered to spend the money at AAPL since I knew I'd be getting genuine parts and a tiny portion of a penny would come back to me through AAPL share price increase :-)

Those things are not cheap, and the price varies a lot.

indeed. when i swapped a display cable on my ibook, i found prices from about $15 to over $200, for just a cable.

Yes, but if the $200 cable is an Apple cable, it might well be plated with 2 ounces of 24k gold and still transmit all data in 1000 years from now. Then again, your iToy will probably crap our in less than 2 years...

it will probably be overnight if they have the part in stock, possibly even same day if you get there early enough.

My beef is that they are unwilling to tell me if they have the part in stock unless I bring my machine in AND have an appointment with Genius. The whole point would be for me to ensure that they do have the part in stock when I bring it in. Since this is not under warrantee and since I am paying for the part, I don't see why Apple would be so restrictive.

you will need to lug it in and have an appointment but there is a small chance they might fix it for free. chances are they won't but you never know.

When you never know, I do believe you're much better off buying a PC and getting a good quality, for exemple, Antec PSU at $80 from the corner store. You remove the four bolts, bolt the new one in place and you're done. Done, DoNe, DONE, shit! That's if you don't have one in stock on your old computer. Specs on PCs parts don't change just to make old parts obsolete.

Yes, I know. M&M prefer to discuss on newsgroups the best ways to save money on a product that is made specifically to rip them off. Whether you're a PC or a Mac user, the notion of fun seem very different.

Message #19 - Posted 2011/12/16 - Zen

On 12/15/2011 09:03 PM, paulfuchs@porkain'tkosher.oink wrote:

I have been using Apple computers and the OS since 1990 (SE/30) and wouldn't switch now

Good little boy! That's exactly what Apple expects from you!

but I do not enjoy getting hosed for the parts at three or four times the price of a comparable part for a windows box

Hey, that's the name of the game!

particularly as I retired and am on a limited budget now. I have a 2.5 year old MacBook and the battery warped so badly that it was squeezing the clicker and causing all sorts of trouble. The Apple store wanted $129 a new one. I found an outfit on eBay in CA that was selling them for $34 postage paid with a 99% feedback. I bought two of them. After two months they seem to be just as good as the OEM.

Aaaah, you're completely wrong! If the MacBook was worth the money, why shouldn't the battery be worth the money too? Once again, why try to save money on a product you bought that was specifically designed to rip you off?

Even MacOS, which is pretty much FreeBSD with a new interface, is a nice rip off. When you choose Apple, you just won't escape it. Don't forget it's because of your idiocy that Apple's market cap is vying with Exxon's. Understand the choices you make and you'll see how life will be so much easier.

So, be a good boy and contribute!

Message #20 - Posted 2011/12/16 - BreadWithSpam

Zen <zen@zzzazen.com> writes:

Good little boy! That's exactly what Apple expects from you!

Our annoying little troll is back. I'd love to say "nice to see you" but, well, it isn't, really.

Plain Bread alone for e-mail, thanks. The rest gets trashed.

Message #21 - Posted 2011/12/16 - Sorel Markovsky

On 12/16/2011 06:03 PM, BreadWithSpam@fractious.net wrote:

Zen<zen@zzzazen.com> writes:

Good little boy! That's exactly what Apple expects from you!

Our annoying little troll is back. I'd love to say "nice to see you" but, well, it isn't, really.

First note that Zen, instead of suggesting to run around town and ordering a part worth $200 to $400 is giving advice on how to troubleshoot the problem. Which is more than anybody has done here so far.

Then, yes, he has a good laugh at Mac users. Do you really believe that a $400 or more power supply that fails after 2 years is so much better deal than the one he spotted at newegg worth $140 AND GUARANTEED FOR 4 YEARS?

IOW, if trolling is stating facts, why isn't it OK?

Message #22 - Posted 2011/12/16 - Alan Browne

On 2011-12-16 18:03 , BreadWithSpam@fractious.net wrote:

Zen<zen@zzzazen.com> writes:

Good little boy! That's exactly what Apple expects from you!

Our annoying little troll is back. I'd love to say "nice to see you" but, well, it isn't, really.

Hint

You're the only person that replied to one of its posts.

/Hint

"I see!" said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Message #23 - Posted 2011/12/16 - BreadWithSpam

Sorel Markovsky <Sormar@lnflslkf.com> writes:

On 12/16/2011 06:03 PM, BreadWithSpam@fractious.net wrote:

Zen<zen@zzzazen.com> writes:

Good little boy! That's exactly what Apple expects from you!

Our annoying little troll is back. I'd love to say

First note that Zen, instead of suggesting to run around town and

Priam has nymshifted again! How many new names can you come up with this week, troll?

Plain Bread alone for e-mail, thanks. The rest gets trashed.

Message #24 - Posted 2011/12/16 - BreadWithSpam

Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> writes:

On 2011-12-16 18:03 , BreadWithSpam@fractious.net wrote:

[re: Priam our troll]

You're the only person that replied to one of its posts.

I'm not playing his game. It was a warning to others who haven't seen him before (since he hasn't been around in a few weeks) that it's just our resident troll.

Just like my reply to the new 'nym he used in response to me. There's a difference between engaging the troll and simply pointing him out.

Plain Bread alone for e-mail, thanks. The rest gets trashed.

Message #25 - Posted 2011/12/16 - Sorel Markovsky

On 12/16/2011 06:35 PM, BreadWithSpam@fractious.net wrote:

Sorel Markovsky<Sormar@lnflslkf.com> writes:

On 12/16/2011 06:03 PM, BreadWithSpam@fractious.net wrote:

Zen<zen@zzzazen.com> writes:

Good little boy! That's exactly what Apple expects from you!

Our annoying little troll is back. I'd love to say

First note that Zen, instead of suggesting to run around town and

Priam has nymshifted again! How many new names can you come up with this week, troll?

Nameshifting is one thing. Trolling is another. Getting some reality through in an M&M group has its drawbacks.

If you're not a tollie, you should care about facts. So, tell me, why does a PSU that fails in 2 years should be worth *thrice* one that is guaranteed for 7 years?

Maybe trolls are those that try to hide this nonsense at all costs?

Message #26 - Posted 2011/12/16 - Sorel Markovsky

On 12/16/2011 06:37 PM, BreadWithSpam@fractious.net wrote:

Alan Browne<alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> writes:

On 2011-12-16 18:03 , BreadWithSpam@fractious.net wrote:

[re: Priam our troll]

You're the only person that replied to one of its posts.

I'm not playing his game. It was a warning to others who haven't seen him before (since he hasn't been around in a few weeks) that it's just our resident troll.

Just like my reply to the new 'nym he used in response to me. There's a difference between engaging the troll and simply pointing him out.

And, since I'm stating bare facts, engaging in a debate would be costly for Apple. The people on this group are all regulars, many of whom work for Apple. I really don't see how a would-be Apple user could possibly decide to buy a Mac after reading what I post here.

Of course, owning an iPhun is an incentive but, with Samsung now offering phones with much better specs at the same price -- hey, here, we're dealing directly with the manufacturer, not a company of know nothing except in marketing that is placing orders ! -- this is about to change.

Message #27 - Posted 2011/12/16 - Sorel Markovsky

On 12/16/2011 06:37 PM, BreadWithSpam@fractious.net wrote:

Alan Browne<alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> writes:

On 2011-12-16 18:03 , BreadWithSpam@fractious.net wrote:

[re: Priam our troll]

You're the only person that replied to one of its posts.

I'm not playing his game. It was a warning to others

A warning! As if they had a chance of catching the capacitor plague or becoming leaky as a G5 :)

Message #28 - Posted 2011/12/17 - Lewis

In message <jcgaqs$nbh$1@dont-email.me>
Király wrote:

Lewis wrote:

Weeks?

I've never had a repair take more than three days at an Apple Store.

I had an eMac in a repair shop for three weeks. The logic board it needed was on back order. The shop had to wait for Apple to manufacture more logic boards and get them shipped out.

I said Apple Store.

"I'm not bad; I'm just drawn that way." And Super Heroes come to feast
To taste the flesh not yet deceased
And all I know is still the beast is feeding.

Message #29 - Posted 2011/12/17 - Lewis

In message <jcgb22$qcv$1@dont-email.me>
Zen wrote:

On 12/15/2011 08:00 PM, nospam wrote:

In article, JF Mezei<jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:

Anyone have any experience on this ? Is there truly no way to order the part from Apple anymore ?

official apple stores won't let you buy parts but some (not all) apple dealers will. there are also places on line to order whatever part you need.

Owning a Mac is so much fun! If I need any part for my PC, any computer store will sell me any part I want.

There are many MANY PCs with custom motherboards or custom power supplies that are not generally available. In fact, a friend of mine is current;y trying to replace a power supply in a shuttle-like machine and finding that they are only available refurbished and cost in excess of $150 for a 350Wt supply. It is cheaper to buy a new micro XT board an a standard power supply, but he can't find one that will take both his CPU and RAM.

Battlemage? That's not a profession. It barely qualifies as a hobby. 'Battlemage' is about impressive a title as 'Lord of the Dance'. <PAUSE> I'm adding Lord of the Dance to my titles.
'Pardon me for living, I'm sure.' NO-ONE GETS PARDONED FOR LIVING.

Message #30 - Posted 2011/12/16 - Sorel Markovsky

On 12/16/2011 10:28 PM, Lewis wrote:

In message Zen<zen@zzzazen.com> wrote:

On 12/15/2011 08:00 PM, nospam wrote:

In article, JF Mezei<jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:

Anyone have any experience on this ? Is there truly no way to order the part from Apple anymore ?

official apple stores won't let you buy parts but some (not all) apple dealers will. there are also places on line to order whatever part you need.

Owning a Mac is so much fun! If I need any part for my PC, any computer store will sell me any part I want.

There are many MANY PCs with custom motherboards or custom power supplies that are not generally available.

Is the Mac Pro's power supply "custom" ? I though Mac Pros sold on the net.

In fact, a friend of mine is
current;y trying to replace a power supply in a shuttle-like machine

Is a Mac Pro the kind of computer that goes into a shuttle-like machine?

When I buy a shop-assembled PC, with just a standard guarantee, if anything goes wrong before one year, I can bring it back and it will be fixed, just as for a Mac.

THEN, my mobo is guaranteed 5 years, my HD... 3 or 5 years, memory for a lifetime and so on. A good power supply 5 to 7 years, etc. THE STICKERS ON THE COMPONENTS HAVE NOT BEEN REPLACED and manufacturers provide those guarantees.

On a Mac, Apple removes all stickers and replace it by theirs. If anything goes wrong after one year, that's it. You didn't pay for AppleCare? Too bad! That's the way Apple get their components dirt cheap. Manufacturers are not liable. They provide no guarantee. If anything breaks within one year, you return the computer to an Apple store, they replace it. That's it that's all.

Mac users get ripped off every conceivable way. I mean, it's plain horror.

Message #31 - Posted 2011/12/17 - JF Mezei

Zen wrote:

So, you pay twice the price for an Apple product. As if it wasn't enough, you pay for AppleCare... and you end up fixing it like an out of the one year guarantee PC.

Priam, for the average person who is not tech litterate and doesn't know how to fix things, Apple will do "turnkey" service on the part. This is Apple's target market, and this how the Apple store's repair service is structured for.

The problem is that the Mac Pro does not fit that target market. We pay a premium for a case design that makes it easy to swap things in it. But Apple is geared to cater to mass market now.

Message #32 - Posted 2011/12/17 - JF Mezei

Sorel Markovsky wrote:

Of course, owning an iPhun is an incentive but, with Samsung now offering phones with much better specs at the same price -- hey, here,

At the end of the day, user experience is more important than specs. You could have a faster processor and less efficient OS/apps which yield same response time (or even inferior response time) AND reduced battery autonomy. But the specs will show the CPU being faster.

Same for a keyboard. Both units may have a virtual on-screen keyboard, but one unit's software may be much smarter in terms of correcting typing errors and learning from your typing habits than the other.And you won't see this in any specs.

Message #33 - Posted 2011/12/17 - Sorel Markovsky

On 12/16/2011 11:53 PM, Sorel Markovsky wrote:

On 12/16/2011 10:28 PM, Lewis wrote:

In message Zen<zen@zzzazen.com> wrote:

On 12/15/2011 08:00 PM, nospam wrote:

In article, JF Mezei<jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:

Anyone have any experience on this ? Is there truly no way to order the
part from Apple anymore ?

official apple stores won't let you buy parts but some (not all) apple dealers will. there are also places on line to order whatever part you need.

Owning a Mac is so much fun! If I need any part for my PC, any computer store will sell me any part I want.

There are many MANY PCs with custom motherboards or custom power supplies that are not generally available.

Is the Mac Pro's power supply "custom" ? I though Mac Pros sold on the net.

In fact, a friend of mine is
current;y trying to replace a power supply in a shuttle-like machine

Is a Mac Pro the kind of computer that goes into a shuttle-like machine?

When I buy a shop-assembled PC, with just a standard guarantee, if anything goes wrong before one year, I can bring it back and it will be fixed, just as for a Mac.

THEN, my mobo is guaranteed 5 years, my HD... 3 or 5 years, memory for a lifetime and so on. A good power supply 5 to 7 years, etc. THE STICKERS ON THE COMPONENTS HAVE NOT BEEN REPLACED and manufacturers provide those guarantees.

On a Mac, Apple removes all stickers and replace it by theirs. If anything goes wrong after one year, that's it. You didn't pay for AppleCare? Too bad! That's the way Apple get their components dirt cheap. Manufacturers are not liable. They provide no guarantee. If anything breaks within one year, you return the computer to an Apple store, they replace it. That's it that's all.

Mac users get ripped off every conceivable way. I mean, it's plain horror.

So Lewis, do you finally get it? Behind the nice Apple sticker on your mobo, maybe originally there was an ASROCK sticker:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157242

It might be a mobo worth $50 retail, much less for Apple, when the ASROCK sticker is removed. If ever the mobo fails, Apple will replace it. They don't care. Wholesale, they cost next to nothing and normally any worst crap mobo should last until AppleCare ends. That's why profits are huge.

Message #34 - Posted 2011/12/17 - Sorel Markovsky

On 12/17/2011 12:42 AM, JF Mezei wrote:

Sorel Markovsky wrote:

Of course, owning an iPhun is an incentive but, with Samsung now offering phones with much better specs at the same price -- hey, here,

At the end of the day, user experience is more important than specs. You could have a faster processor and less efficient OS/apps which yield same response time (or even inferior response time) AND reduced battery autonomy. But the specs will show the CPU being faster.

I'm sorry, J-F but once again, this is bullshit. Bring any new Mini beside my 2.8 GHz 3 Core, 4 GB RAM and 1 GB on the video card PC, that I paid the price of a Mini 3 years ago and it will look like an out of breath donkey.

As my software, it's far from inferior. Whereas Apple is unable to adapt FreeBSD to make a decent all around server, my OS runs 85% of the most powerful computers in the world and tablets too :)

What you pay for is brainwashing and reinforcement of prejudice. And investors contentment, of course.

Same for a keyboard. Both units may have a virtual on-screen keyboard, but one unit's software may be much smarter in terms of correcting typing errors

At the present time, this smarter keyboard is available for Androidn ot iOS.

and learning from your typing habits than the other.And you won't see this in any specs.

Oh yes! Check said app and you'll see all its specs are described.

Message #35 - Posted 2011/12/16 - Michael Vilain

Previously, Sorel Markovsky wrote:

Mac users get ripped off every conceivable way. I mean, it's plain horror.

Pyrim|Zara's nymshifted again. This time he's a spice girl.

DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee... [I filter all Goggle Groups posts, so any reply may be automatically ignored]

Message #36 - Posted 2011/12/17 - Sorel Markovsky

On 12/17/2011 12:36 AM, JF Mezei wrote:

Zen wrote:

So, you pay twice the price for an Apple product. As if it wasn't enough, you pay for AppleCare... and you end up fixing it like an out of the one year guarantee PC.

Priam, for the average person who is not tech litterate and doesn't know how to fix things, Apple will do "turnkey" service on the part. This is Apple's target market, and this how the Apple store's repair service is structured for.

If you can't remove a few screws to replacea PSU or HD, any PC shop will be glad to do it for you. They'll even replace or add RAM! :)

The problem is that the Mac Pro does not fit that target market. We pay a premium for a case design that makes it easy to swap things in it. But Apple is geared to cater to mass market now.

And it wasn't 2 years ago when you bought your Mac Pro? Too bad! How much do you believe your Mac Pro is worth now... well, I mean after you've paid more than half the price of my PC when new to get your power supply in working order?

No reasoning can justify being ripped off like you are now.

Message #37 - Posted 2011/12/17 - Sorel Markovsky

On 12/17/2011 01:12 AM, Michael Vilain wrote:

In article, Sorel Markovsky<Sormar@lnflslkf.com> wrote:

Mac users get ripped off every conceivable way. I mean, it's plain horror.

Pyrim|Zara's nymshifted again. This time he's a spice girl.

It's already been said but some people go on trying to refute common sense.

Message #38 - Posted 2011/12/17 - Paul Sture

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 03:28:08 +0000, Lewis wrote:

In message Zen <zen@zzzazen.com> wrote:

On 12/15/2011 08:00 PM, nospam wrote:

In article, JF Mezei<jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:

Anyone have any experience on this ? Is there truly no way to order the part from Apple anymore ?

official apple stores won't let you buy parts but some (not all) apple dealers will. there are also places on line to order whatever part you need.

Owning a Mac is so much fun! If I need any part for my PC, any computer store will sell me any part I want.

There are many MANY PCs with custom motherboards or custom power supplies that are not generally available. In fact, a friend of mine is current;y trying to replace a power supply in a shuttle-like machine and finding that they are only available refurbished and cost in excess of $150 for a 350Wt supply. It is cheaper to buy a new micro XT board an a standard power supply, but he can't find one that will take both his CPU and RAM.

Tell me about it. For the admittedly cheap PC I bought 18 months ago, an extra 2 GB RAM was fifty bucks but the 4 GB RAM card was nearer 200, even if I could find it. Only 2 slots, so I'm stuck at 4GB. For less than 400 bucks I can get a separate system with 4 GB already in it.

Paul Sture

Message #39 - Posted 2011/12/17 - Alan Browne

On 2011-12-16 18:37 , BreadWithSpam@fractious.net wrote:

Alan Browne<alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> writes:

On 2011-12-16 18:03 , BreadWithSpam@fractious.net wrote:

[re: Priam our troll]

You're the only person that replied to one of its posts.

I'm not playing his game. It was a warning to others who haven't seen him before

Did you even notice that nobody answered it?

That was blessed signal in itself.

The regulars here can smell its diseased body and mind in any of its clothes. Any unsuspecting newcomer will get the signal soon enough.

Just don't answer its posts even to warn others. Not needed.

"I see!" said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Message #40 - Posted 2011/12/17 - BreadWithSpam

Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> writes:

Just don't answer its posts even to warn others. Not needed.

Gosh, thanks. I've been wondering how to use usenet.

Plain Bread alone for e-mail, thanks. The rest gets trashed.

Message #41 - Posted 2011/12/17 - Alan Browne

On 2011-12-17 10:06 , BreadWithSpam@fractious.net wrote:

Gosh, thanks. I've been wondering how to use usenet.

Obviously.

"I see!" said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Message #42 - Posted 2011/12/17 - George Kerby

On 12/16/11 11:42 PM, in article 4eec2baf$0$24864$c3e8da3$fdf4f6af@news.astraweb.com, JF Mezei wrote:

Sorel Markovsky wrote:

Of course, owning an iPhun is an incentive but, with Samsung now offering phones with much better specs at the same price -- hey, here,

At the end of the day, user experience is more important than specs. You could have a faster processor and less efficient OS/apps which yield same response time (or even inferior response time) AND reduced battery autonomy. But the specs will show the CPU being faster.

Same for a keyboard. Both units may have a virtual on-screen keyboard, but one unit's software may be much smarter in terms of correcting typing errors and learning from your typing habits than the other.And you won't see this in any specs.

You are using a high phosphate fertilizer. That promotes unusual blooming.

You were warned...

Message #43 - Posted 2011/12/17 - Jolly Roger

Previously, BreadWithSpam@fractious.net wrote:

Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> writes:

Just don't answer its posts even to warn others. Not needed.

Gosh, thanks. I've been wondering how to use usenet.

You should already know this by now, yet you persist. That's why others are intervening.

Send responses to the relevant news group rather than email to me. E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my very hungry SPAM filter. Due to Google's refusal to prevent spammers from posting messages through their servers, I often ignore posts from Google Groups. Use a real news client if you want me to see your posts.

JR

Message #44 - Posted 2011/12/17 - BreadWithSpam

Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> writes:

BreadWithSpam@fractious.net wrote:

Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> writes:

Just don't answer its posts even to warn others. Not needed.

Gosh, thanks. I've been wondering how to use usenet.

You should already know this by now, yet you persist. That's why others are intervening.

I'm astounded by the irony, given the folks who actually engage the troll, and the folks who insist on political
and other off-topic engagements here.

I think of our troll like a pile of dogshit. I do believe that for those who don't smell it, it's worth pointing it out so that they don't step in it.

And you'll notice that there are *always* folks who step in it.

Plain Bread alone for e-mail, thanks. The rest gets trashed.

Message #45 - Posted 2011/12/17 - Jolly Roger

Previously, BreadWithSpam@fractious.net wrote:

Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> writes:

BreadWithSpam@fractious.net wrote:

Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> writes:

Just don't answer its posts even to warn others. Not needed.

Gosh, thanks. I've been wondering how to use usenet.

You should already know this by now, yet you persist. That's why others are intervening.

I'm astounded by the irony, given the folks who actually engage the troll, and the folks who insist on political
and other off-topic engagements here.

I think of our troll like a pile of dogshit. I do believe that for those who don't smell it, it's worth pointing it out so that they don't step in it.

And you'll notice that there are *always* folks who step in it.

In this case, *you* are the only one who stepped in it. You don't see THAT irony?

Send responses to the relevant news group rather than email to me. E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my very hungry SPAM filter. Due to Google's refusal to prevent spammers from posting messages through their servers, I often ignore posts from Google Groups. Use a real news client if you want me to see your posts.

JR

Message #46 - Posted 2011/12/17 - BreadWithSpam

Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> writes:

BreadWithSpam@fractious.net wrote:

I think of our troll like a pile of dogshit. I do believe that for those who don't smell it, it's worth pointing it out so that they don't step in it.

In this case, *you* are the only one who stepped in it. You don't see THAT irony?

Nah. i really was done with the troll after my one-line point out of the troll. I'm not sure why folks want to keep discussing it. Whatever.

Plain Bread alone for e-mail, thanks. The rest gets trashed.

Message #47 - Posted 2011/12/17 - Jolly Roger

Previously, BreadWithSpam@fractious.net wrote:

Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> writes:

BreadWithSpam@fractious.net wrote:

I think of our troll like a pile of dogshit. I do believe that for those who don't smell it, it's worth pointing it out so that they don't step in it.

In this case, *you* are the only one who stepped in it. You don't see THAT irony?

Nah. i really was done with the troll after my one-line point out of the troll. I'm not sure why folks want to keep discussing it. Whatever.

Right over your head, eh? It's a real shame, because nobody at all had replied to the troll until you came along. Hopefully you'll do better next time.

Send responses to the relevant news group rather than email to me. E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my very hungry SPAM filter. Due to Google's refusal to prevent spammers from posting messages through their servers, I often ignore posts from Google Groups. Use a real news client if you want me to see your posts.

JR

Message #48 - Posted 2011/12/17 - Király

Lewis wrote:

I had an eMac in a repair shop for three weeks. The logic board it needed was on back order. The shop had to wait for Apple to manufacture more logic boards and get them shipped out.

I said Apple Store.

It wouldn't have made a difference. No parts available means no parts available.

K.

Lang may your lum reek.

Message #49 - Posted 2011/12/17 - Sorel Markovsky

On 12/17/2011 08:39 AM, Paul Sture wrote:

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 03:28:08 +0000, Lewis wrote:

In message Zen<zen@zzzazen.com> wrote:

On 12/15/2011 08:00 PM, nospam wrote:

In article, JF Mezei<jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:

Anyone have any experience on this ? Is there truly no way to order the part from Apple anymore ?

official apple stores won't let you buy parts but some (not all) apple dealers will. there are also places on line to order whatever part you need.

Owning a Mac is so much fun! If I need any part for my PC, any computer store will sell me any part I want.

There are many MANY PCs with custom motherboards or custom power supplies that are not generally available. In fact, a friend of mine is current;y trying to replace a power supply in a shuttle-like machine and finding that they are only available refurbished and cost in excess of $150 for a 350Wt supply. It is cheaper to buy a new micro XT board an a standard power supply, but he can't find one that will take both his CPU and RAM.

Tell me about it. For the admittedly cheap PC I bought 18 months ago, an extra 2 GB RAM was fifty bucks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139481

Message #50 - Posted 2011/12/17 - Sorel Markovsky

On 12/17/2011 09:53 AM, Alan Browne wrote:

On 2011-12-16 18:37 , BreadWithSpam@fractious.net wrote:

Alan Browne<alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> writes:

On 2011-12-16 18:03 , BreadWithSpam@fractious.net wrote:

[re: Priam our troll]

You're the only person that replied to one of its posts.

I'm not playing his game. It was a warning to others
who haven't seen him before

Did you even notice that nobody answered it?

Great! Now we'll haev 453 posts about so-called trolls!

Message #51 - Posted 2011/12/17 - Sorel Markovsky

On 12/17/2011 08:39 AM, Paul Sture wrote:

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 03:28:08 +0000, Lewis wrote:

In message Zen<zen@zzzazen.com> wrote:

On 12/15/2011 08:00 PM, nospam wrote:

In article, JF Mezei<jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca> wrote:

Anyone have any experience on this ? Is there truly no way to order the part from Apple anymore ?

official apple stores won't let you buy parts but some (not all) apple dealers will. there are also places on line to order whatever part you need.

Owning a Mac is so much fun! If I need any part for my PC, any computer store will sell me any part I want.

There are many MANY PCs with custom motherboards or custom power supplies that are not generally available. In fact, a friend of mine is current;y trying to replace a power supply in a shuttle-like machine and finding that they are only available refurbished and cost in excess of $150 for a 350Wt supply. It is cheaper to buy a new micro XT board an a standard power supply, but he can't find one that will take both his CPU and RAM.

Tell me about it. For the admittedly cheap PC I bought 18 months ago, an extra 2 GB RAM was fifty bucks

Even better:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104173

Message #52 - Posted 2011/12/21 - paulfuchs

<paulfuchs wrote:

nospam wrote:

Previously, JF Mezei wrote:

I used Mr Google and indeed, it seems to be available from 3rd parties. Would have prefered to spend the money at AAPL since I knew I'd be getting genuine parts and a tiny portion of a penny would come back to me through AAPL share price increase :-)

Those things are not cheap, and the price varies a lot.

indeed. when i swapped a display cable on my ibook, i found prices from about $15 to over $200, for just a cable.

it will probably be overnight if they have the part in stock, possibly even same day if you get there early enough.

My beef is that they are unwilling to tell me if they have the part in stock unless I bring my machine in AND have an appointment with Genius. The whole point would be for me to ensure that they do have the part in stock when I bring it in. Since this is not under warrantee and since I am paying for the part, I don't see why Apple would be so restrictive.

you will need to lug it in and have an appointment but there is a small chance they might fix it for free. chances are they won't but you never know.

I have been using Apple computers and the OS since 1990 (SE/30) and wouldn't switch now, but I do not enjoy getting hosed for the parts at three or four times the price of a comparable part for a windows box, particularly as I retired and am on a limited budget now. I have a 2.5 year old MacBook and the battery warped so badly that it was squeezing the clicker and causing all sorts of trouble. The Apple store wanted $129 a new one. I found an outfit on eBay in CA that was selling them for $34 postage paid with a 99% feedback. I bought two of them. After two months they seem to be just as good as the OEM.

It is unfortunate that the Priam troll hijacked my comment. Many here on this group have an income a lot higher than my retirement income, and don't mind getting hosed by Apple on parts. Well I do - but not enough to switch yet. For one thing, I have been using the Apple OS for over 20 years now and you know about old dogs and new tricks.

Message #53 - Posted 2011/12/22 - Michael Vilain

Previously, paulfuchs@porkain'tkosher.oink wrote:

<paulfuchs wrote:

nospam wrote:

Previously, JF Mezei wrote:

I used Mr Google and indeed, it seems to be available from 3rd parties. Would have prefered to spend the money at AAPL since I knew I'd be getting genuine parts and a tiny portion of a penny would come back to me through AAPL share price increase :-)

Those things are not cheap, and the price varies a lot.

indeed. when i swapped a display cable on my ibook, i found prices from about $15 to over $200, for just a cable.

it will probably be overnight if they have the part in stock, possibly even same day if you get there early enough.

My beef is that they are unwilling to tell me if they have the part in stock unless I bring my machine in AND have an appointment with Genius. The whole point would be for me to ensure that they do have the part in stock when I bring it in. Since this is not under warrantee and since I am paying for the part, I don't see why Apple would be so restrictive.

you will need to lug it in and have an appointment but there is a small chance they might fix it for free. chances are they won't but you never know.

I have been using Apple computers and the OS since 1990 (SE/30) and wouldn't switch now, but I do not enjoy getting hosed for the parts at three or four times the price of a comparable part for a windows box, particularly as I retired and am on a limited budget now. I have a 2.5 year old MacBook and the battery warped so badly that it was squeezing the clicker and causing all sorts of trouble. The Apple store wanted $129 a new one. I found an outfit on eBay in CA that was selling them for $34 postage paid with a 99% feedback. I bought two of them. After two months they seem to be just as good as the OEM.

It is unfortunate that the Priam troll hijacked my comment. Many here on this group have an income a lot higher than my retirement income, and don't mind getting hosed by Apple on parts. Well I do - but not enough to switch yet. For one thing, I have been using the Apple OS for over 20 years now and you know about old dogs and new tricks.

Time to stop buying computers. Or get something from a local recycler. I got a 2.2GHz Pentium 4 with USB keyboard, mouse, and 15" with a 100GB disk and 1GB ethernet card for $30. Download a linux distro from the library or buy XP.

I don't understand 'I can't afford to get this fixed.'. Actually, I do. If my car goes, I'll most likely use a bicycle and buy a bus pass for a while.

DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee... [I filter all Goggle Groups posts, so any reply may be automatically ignored]

Message #54 - Posted 2011/12/22 - Paul Sture

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 07:07:45 -0800, Michael Vilain wrote:

Previously, paulfuchs@porkain'tkosher.oink wrote:

<paulfuchs wrote:

nospam wrote:

Previously, JF Mezei wrote:

I used Mr Google and indeed, it seems to be available from 3rd parties.
Would have prefered to spend the money at AAPL since I knew I'd be
getting genuine parts and a tiny portion of a penny would come back to me through AAPL share price increase :-)

Those things are not cheap, and the price varies a lot.

indeed. when i swapped a display cable on my ibook, i found prices from about $15 to over $200, for just a cable.

it will probably be overnight if they have the part in stock, possibly even same day if you get there early enough.

My beef is that they are unwilling to tell me if they have the part in stock unless I bring my machine in AND have an appointment with Genius. The whole point would be for me to ensure that they do have the part in stock when I bring it in. Since this is not under warrantee and since I am paying for the part, I don't see why Apple would be so restrictive.

you will need to lug it in and have an appointment but there is a small chance they might fix it for free. chances are they won't but you never know.

I have been using Apple computers and the OS since 1990 (SE/30) and wouldn't switch now, but I do not enjoy getting hosed for the parts at three or four times the price of a comparable part for a windows box, particularly as I retired and am on a limited budget now. I have a 2.5 year old MacBook and the battery warped so badly that it was squeezing the clicker and causing all sorts of trouble. The Apple store wanted $129 a new one. I found an outfit on eBay in CA that was selling them for $34 postage paid with a 99% feedback. I bought two of them. After two months they seem to be just as good as the OEM.

It is unfortunate that the Priam troll hijacked my comment. Many here on this group have an income a lot higher than my retirement income, and don't mind getting hosed by Apple on parts. Well I do - but not enough to switch yet. For one thing, I have been using the Apple OS for over 20 years now and you know about old dogs and new tricks.

Time to stop buying computers. Or get something from a local recycler. I got a 2.2GHz Pentium 4 with USB keyboard, mouse, and 15" with a 100GB disk and 1GB ethernet card for $30. Download a linux distro from the library or buy XP.

I just got a couple of slighter higher spec Pentium 4s for free, and XP Pro was included. It pays to keep your ears open :-)

I don't understand 'I can't afford to get this fixed.'. Actually, I do. If my car goes, I'll most likely use a bicycle and buy a bus pass for a while.

I am lucky to have decent and affordable public transport, and just rent a car when I need one. Parking alone was costing 50% more than my current bus/train pass.

Paul Sture

Message #55 - Posted 2011/12/23 - Pierre S. Lemieux

On 12/15/2011 07:35 PM, JF Mezei wrote:

My 2009 Mac Pro power supply is failing. It took over an hour of trying after a power failure before it powered the machine on. (it would click, lights in room dim a bit and about 3 secodns later, click "off". No chime).

Have now spent 2 hours on the phone with various apple departments to find a way to order the power supply. The local Apple store won't give me the time of day, they say that I have to bring the whole unit in with an appointment with genius bar before they decide to check to see if they have the part in stock. Ideally, if I must bring the whole machine in, I want to do it when I know they have the part in stock so they can just swap it right there. (the whole design of the Mac pro is to enable such easy swapping).

Appple Care ( I don't have that machine on apple care) suggested I go to an authorized service/sales 3rd party to order the part.

Anyone have any experience on this ? Is there truly no way to order the part from Apple anymore ?

I am not willing to leave my machine for weeks at the apple store. (esepcially during holidays).

Dear Mr Mézéi,

I just want to say how sorry I feel about your setbacks and how I hope you will get through before the holliday season is over. I sincerely regret the lack of empathy of this community toward your misfortunes. I understand how heartbreaking, nerve wracking, hair scattering your situation is and would like to provide some advice.

Of course, being without a cent after buying a nice Mac Pro that you though so sturdy and having to wrestle to cut $200 on a power supply price is a disconcerting. OTOH, you will certainly understand that Apple must keep its shares afloat by enticing users to buy AppleCare, mainly on such expensive products.

So, why don't you stop losing your time and go directly to Apple to have your Mac fixed? After all, what will it cost? Around $650 for the power supply and let's say $200 for installation. With taxes and maybe a few other repairs here and there -- you certainly know how Geniuses are apt to find those -- you should have a like-new computer for hardly more than $1,000.

Now, here's the trick. Instead of waiting for the motherboard to blow out next year at double the cost of the PSU repair, why not sell your Mac, whose maintenance you obviously can't afford? Why not buy this Lenovo I was talking about:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108568

After all, it's not so bad. Wifi's and Blutooth's prices have gone down tremendously recently. Whereas I thought they were worth at least $1,000, it seems you can have both for hardly $30!!!

You'll see how owning a computer you can afford will ease your mind, mainly that repairs might not be as frequent.

In the end, you'll even save $300 and have a brand new computer. And if the 1.5 TB HD proves a little tight, you can install a second one no problem.

Happy Holliday Season!

Need Help? Have a Question?

Looking for more help, comments, and answers?

Ask your questions on Ask Different. Ask Different is a community of Apple users ready to help.