The conversation on this page has been archived and is no longer active.

Matias keyboard and wake/sleep

Message #1 - Posted 2005/10/30 - Peter Ceresole

After two days of effortless typing with the Matias (god, it really *does* make a difference) I've noticed an interesting difference.

On the iG5 with 10.3.9, I normally sleep the machine by pressing the power button on the back of the unit. Easy, reliable, instant (well, a couple of seconds at most). I have checked System prefs->Energy saver->Options->'Allow power button to sleep the computer'.

The wake options (if the modem detects a ring, or for admin access via Ethernet) are unchecked.

With the Apple keyboard I would wake it by tapping the space bar. Worked every time. With the Matias, it only works some of the time. If the Mac has been asleep for a long period, like overnight, it doesn't respond to the keyboard, but wakes fine if I press the power button.

This is no hardship, but I wonder why it's changed?

Peter

Message #2 - Posted 2005/10/30 - Jim

Peter Ceresole wrote:

With the Apple keyboard I would wake it by tapping the space bar. Worked every time. With the Matias, it only works some of the time. If the Mac has been asleep for a long period, like overnight, it doesn't respond to the keyboard, but wakes fine if I press the power button.

This is no hardship, but I wonder why it's changed?

I find this with mine as well, although with me it works 80% of the time.

Clicking the mouse has so far worked 100%.

Jim

Find me at http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk AIM/iChatAV: JCAndrew2 Lost: Stack Pointer. Small reward offered if found.

Message #3 - Posted 2005/10/30 - Bella Jones

Jim wrote:

Peter Ceresole wrote:

With the Apple keyboard I would wake it by tapping the space bar. Worked every time. With the Matias, it only works some of the time. If the Mac has been asleep for a long period, like overnight, it doesn't respond to the keyboard, but wakes fine if I press the power button.

This is no hardship, but I wonder why it's changed?

I find this with mine as well, although with me it works 80% of the time.

Clicking the mouse has so far worked 100%.

Yes, I noticed that as well.

bellajonez at yahoo dot co dot uk

Message #4 - Posted 2005/11/04 - Bella Jones

Jim wrote:

Peter Ceresole wrote:

With the Apple keyboard I would wake it by tapping the space bar. Worked every time. With the Matias, it only works some of the time. If the Mac has been asleep for a long period, like overnight, it doesn't respond to the keyboard, but wakes fine if I press the power button.

This is no hardship, but I wonder why it's changed?

I find this with mine as well, although with me it works 80% of the time.

Clicking the mouse has so far worked 100%.

Just to add - this morning neither the keyboard nor the mouse would wake the machine - I had to press the power button.

bellajonez at yahoo dot co dot uk

Message #5 - Posted 2005/11/04 - Jim

Previously, Bella Jones wrote:

Jim wrote:

Peter Ceresole wrote:

With the Apple keyboard I would wake it by tapping the space bar. Worked every time. With the Matias, it only works some of the time. If the Mac has been asleep for a long period, like overnight, it doesn't respond to the keyboard, but wakes fine if I press the power button.

This is no hardship, but I wonder why it's changed?

I find this with mine as well, although with me it works 80% of the time.

Clicking the mouse has so far worked 100%.

Just to add - this morning neither the keyboard nor the mouse would wake the machine - I had to press the power button.

It *would* be you, wouldn't it?

Jim

Find me at http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk JediGeeks http://www.jedigeeks.com Is anyone interested in helping produce a whisky podcast?
If so, please email me at theDram@gmail.com

Message #6 - Posted 2005/11/04 - Bella Jones

Jim wrote:

Previously, Bella Jones wrote:

Jim wrote:

Peter Ceresole wrote:

With the Apple keyboard I would wake it by tapping the space bar. Worked every time. With the Matias, it only works some of the time. If the Mac has been asleep for a long period, like overnight, it doesn't respond to the keyboard, but wakes fine if I press the power button.

This is no hardship, but I wonder why it's changed?

I find this with mine as well, although with me it works 80% of the time.

Clicking the mouse has so far worked 100%.

Just to add - this morning neither the keyboard nor the mouse would wake the machine - I had to press the power button.

It *would* be you, wouldn't it?

And tobacco cannot be blamed for this, as I am still resolutely smoking in the kitchen!

bellajonez at yahoo dot co dot uk

Message #7 - Posted 2005/11/05 - Roger Merriman

Bella Jones wrote:

Jim wrote:

Previously, Bella Jones wrote:

Jim wrote:

Peter Ceresole wrote:

With the Apple keyboard I would wake it by tapping the space bar. Worked every time. With the Matias, it only works some of the time. If the Mac has been asleep for a long period, like overnight, it doesn't respond to the keyboard, but wakes fine if I press the power button.

This is no hardship, but I wonder why it's changed?

I find this with mine as well, although with me it works 80% of the time.

Clicking the mouse has so far worked 100%.

Just to add - this morning neither the keyboard nor the mouse would wake the machine - I had to press the power button.

It *would* be you, wouldn't it?

And tobacco cannot be blamed for this, as I am still resolutely smoking in the kitchen!

so its un charred so far is it?

roger

Message #8 - Posted 2005/11/05 - Bella Jones

Roger Merriman wrote:

Bella Jones wrote:

[matias issues]

Clicking the mouse has so far worked 100%.

Just to add - this morning neither the keyboard nor the mouse would wake the machine - I had to press the power button.

It *would* be you, wouldn't it?

And tobacco cannot be blamed for this, as I am still resolutely smoking in the kitchen!

so its un charred so far is it?

It is utterly unbesmirched, as I am still smoking in the kitchen.

Sadly that is more than I can say for myself, as I seem to have a chest infection, and the medical folk I was out with last night suggested I obtain antibiotics forthwith. :-(

bellajonez at yahoo dot co dot uk

Message #9 - Posted 2005/11/05 - Roger Merriman

Bella Jones wrote:

Roger Merriman wrote:

Bella Jones wrote:

[matias issues]

Clicking the mouse has so far worked 100%.

Just to add - this morning neither the keyboard nor the mouse would wake the machine - I had to press the power button.

It *would* be you, wouldn't it?

And tobacco cannot be blamed for this, as I am still resolutely smoking in the kitchen!

so its un charred so far is it?

It is utterly unbesmirched, as I am still smoking in the kitchen.

do you burn much in the kitchen? ;-)

Sadly that is more than I can say for myself, as I seem to have a chest infection, and the medical folk I was out with last night suggested I obtain antibiotics forthwith. :-(

ooh bacterial infection ether 1st or 2ndery. nasty either way, maybe worth seeing the GP?

roger

Message #10 - Posted 2005/11/05 - Bella Jones

Roger Merriman wrote:

Bella Jones wrote:

[matias issues]

And tobacco cannot be blamed for this, as I am still resolutely smoking in the kitchen!

so its un charred so far is it?

It is utterly unbesmirched, as I am still smoking in the kitchen.

do you burn much in the kitchen? ;-)

Nearly...

Sadly that is more than I can say for myself, as I seem to have a chest infection, and the medical folk I was out with last night suggested I obtain antibiotics forthwith. :-(

ooh bacterial infection ether 1st or 2ndery. nasty either way, maybe worth seeing the GP?

Yep, looks like it. Off to doc on Monday if I can. As someone said last night, 'You don't really hear people cough like that in this century'.

bellajonez at yahoo dot co dot uk

Message #11 - Posted 2005/11/06 - Sara Kirk

Previously, Bella Jones wrote:

Roger Merriman wrote:

Bella Jones wrote:

[matias issues]

And tobacco cannot be blamed for this, as I am still resolutely smoking
in the kitchen!

so its un charred so far is it?

It is utterly unbesmirched, as I am still smoking in the kitchen.

do you burn much in the kitchen? ;-)

Nearly...

Sadly that is more than I can say for myself, as I seem to have a chest infection, and the medical folk I was out with last night suggested I obtain antibiotics forthwith. :-(

ooh bacterial infection ether 1st or 2ndery. nasty either way, maybe worth seeing the GP?

Yep, looks like it. Off to doc on Monday if I can. As someone said last night, 'You don't really hear people cough like that in this century'.

Argh.

Sara, the HS

Message #12 - Posted 2005/11/07 - Roger Merriman

Bella Jones wrote:

Roger Merriman wrote:

Bella Jones wrote:

[matias issues]

And tobacco cannot be blamed for this, as I am still resolutely smoking in the kitchen!

so its un charred so far is it?

It is utterly unbesmirched, as I am still smoking in the kitchen.

do you burn much in the kitchen? ;-)

Nearly...

mearly smoldering rather than crispy?

Sadly that is more than I can say for myself, as I seem to have a chest infection, and the medical folk I was out with last night suggested I obtain antibiotics forthwith. :-(

ooh bacterial infection ether 1st or 2ndery. nasty either way, maybe worth seeing the GP?

Yep, looks like it. Off to doc on Monday if I can. As someone said last night, 'You don't really hear people cough like that in this century'.

so been off to the doctor?

roger

Message #13 - Posted 2005/11/07 - Bella Jones

Roger Merriman wrote:

Bella Jones wrote:

do you burn much in the kitchen? ;-)

Nearly...

mearly smoldering rather than crispy?

Still smoking in the kitchen, but, um, the visits are getting more frequent!

ooh bacterial infection ether 1st or 2ndery. nasty either way, maybe worth seeing the GP?

Yep, looks like it. Off to doc on Monday if I can. As someone said last night, 'You don't really hear people cough like that in this century'.

so been off to the doctor?

Yep. Cefalexin 2x per day for 5 days. Watch this space...

bellajonez at yahoo dot co dot uk

Message #14 - Posted 2005/11/10 - Roger Merriman

Bella Jones wrote:

Roger Merriman wrote:

Bella Jones wrote:

do you burn much in the kitchen? ;-)

Nearly...

mearly smoldering rather than crispy?

Still smoking in the kitchen, but, um, the visits are getting more frequent!

well its got to be done on your terms and no one elses, some people seem to find iot easy others not. my mother can't resist it if its in the house.

ooh bacterial infection ether 1st or 2ndery. nasty either way, maybe worth seeing the GP?

Yep, looks like it. Off to doc on Monday if I can. As someone said last night, 'You don't really hear people cough like that in this century'.

so been off to the doctor?

Yep. Cefalexin 2x per day for 5 days. Watch this space...

ooh well hope your better soon.

roger

Message #15 - Posted 2005/11/10 - Bella Jones

Roger Merriman wrote:

Bella Jones wrote:

Still smoking in the kitchen, but, um, the visits are getting more frequent!

well its got to be done on your terms and no one elses, some people seem to find iot easy others not. my mother can't resist it if its in the house.

Willpower is an extremely overrated thing. You have to actually want to give something up - it's like a switch in your head, as I had with booze.

Yep. Cefalexin 2x per day for 5 days. Watch this space...

ooh well hope your better soon.

I think they are working, slowly....

bellajonez at yahoo dot co dot uk

Message #16 - Posted 2005/11/14 - Roger Merriman

Bella Jones wrote:

Roger Merriman wrote:

Bella Jones wrote:

Still smoking in the kitchen, but, um, the visits are getting more frequent!

well its got to be done on your terms and no one elses, some people seem to find iot easy others not. my mother can't resist it if its in the house.

Willpower is an extremely overrated thing. You have to actually want to give something up - it's like a switch in your head, as I had with booze.

yup, you have to want to give up truely i guess, in your heart etc.

Yep. Cefalexin 2x per day for 5 days. Watch this space...

ooh well hope your better soon.

I think they are working, slowly....

cool glad to hear.

roger

Need Help? Have a Question?

Looking for more help, comments, and answers?

Ask your questions on Ask Different. Ask Different is a community of Apple users ready to help.