The conversation on this page has been archived and is no longer active.

PB G3 won't sleep - ever

Message #1 - Posted 2004/10/25 - grunwald

My PB G3 (333 bronze keyboard) has decided to stop sleeping. Won't sleep from the sleep timer, won't sleep from a menu command, won't sleep when the cover is closed. It ignores the sleep timer, crashes from a menu sleep command, crashes when the cover is closed.

OS 9.2.2, file sharing on or off, no obvious background processes that should keep it awake. Works ok otherwise.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
RG

--

Message #2 - Posted 2004/10/25 - Elliott Roper

Previously, grunwald wrote:

My PB G3 (333 bronze keyboard) has decided to stop sleeping. Won't sleep from the sleep timer, won't sleep from a menu command, won't sleep when the cover is closed. It ignores the sleep timer, crashes from a menu sleep command, crashes when the cover is closed.

OS 9.2.2, file sharing on or off, no obvious background processes that should keep it awake. Works ok otherwise.

Any suggestions are welcome.

WIld guess department:-
Do you have a USB hub connected to it?

I thought I would be the last on earth to mung my e-mail address. fsnospam$elliott$$

Message #3 - Posted 2004/10/25 - grunwald

Previously, Elliott Roper wrote:

Previously, grunwald wrote:

My PB G3 (333 bronze keyboard) has decided to stop sleeping. Won't sleep from the sleep timer, won't sleep from a menu command, won't sleep when the cover is closed. It ignores the sleep timer, crashes from a menu sleep command, crashes when the cover is closed.

OS 9.2.2, file sharing on or off, no obvious background processes that should keep it awake. Works ok otherwise.

Any suggestions are welcome.

WIld guess department:-
Do you have a USB hub connected to it?

Yes. But the problem doesn't go away if I start up and try to sleep without the hub.

Message #4 - Posted 2004/10/26 - Elliott Roper

Previously, grunwald wrote:

Previously, Elliott Roper wrote:

Previously, grunwald wrote:

My PB G3 (333 bronze keyboard) has decided to stop sleeping. Won't sleep from the sleep timer, won't sleep from a menu command, won't sleep when the cover is closed. It ignores the sleep timer, crashes from a menu sleep command, crashes when the cover is closed.

OS 9.2.2, file sharing on or off, no obvious background processes that should keep it awake. Works ok otherwise.

Any suggestions are welcome.

WIld guess department:-
Do you have a USB hub connected to it?

Yes. But the problem doesn't go away if I start up and try to sleep without the hub.

Oh Damn! There was a famous insomnia
problem discussed on uk.comp.sys.mac that was caused by a particular powered hub. Try googling that group.w

I thought I would be the last on earth to mung my e-mail address. fsnospam$elliott$$

Message #5 - Posted 2004/10/27 - grunwald

Previously, Elliott Roper wrote:

Previously, grunwald wrote:

Previously, Elliott Roper wrote:

Previously, grunwald wrote:

My PB G3 (333 bronze keyboard) has decided to stop sleeping. Won't sleep from the sleep timer, won't sleep from a menu command, won't sleep when the cover is closed. It ignores the sleep timer, crashes from a menu sleep command, crashes when the cover is closed.

OS 9.2.2, file sharing on or off, no obvious background processes that should keep it awake. Works ok otherwise.

Any suggestions are welcome.

WIld guess department:-
Do you have a USB hub connected to it?

Yes. But the problem doesn't go away if I start up and try to sleep without the hub.

Oh Damn! There was a famous insomnia
problem discussed on uk.comp.sys.mac that was caused by a particular powered hub. Try googling that group.w

Ok, found it. Thanks for the ideas. Turns out that there was an app keeping it awake after all. The fax software had the modem waiting to receive calls. A change of settings to turn that off and all is well again.

This software (Fax STF, v5) seems to be consistently buggy and crash prone. Even with the modem on it should have been possible to force sleep without a crash. Any ideas for cheap, but reliable, OS 9 fax software?

Message #6 - Posted 2004/10/27 - John Johnson

Previously, grunwald wrote:

[snip: it was the fax software]

This software (Fax STF, v5) seems to be consistently buggy and crash prone. Even with the modem on it should have been possible to force sleep without a crash. Any ideas for cheap, but reliable, OS 9 fax software?

You should check the group's archives (using my name in addition to the obvious keywords might help narrow things down), as this subject has come up in the past. I've looked around on one or two occasions (usually prompted by the afore-mentioned threads) and don't recall finding any free- or shareware FAX programs for OS 9 other than 'STF, but I may simply have forgotten.

There are a number of good ones for OS 10.1 (I think) and 10.2, should you venture there.

Later.
johajohn@indianahoosiers.edu
Let 'indiana' be a 'noln', and 'hoosiers' be a 'solkk'. Leave only the 'noln' and .edu after the @ to reply .

Need Help? Have a Question?

Looking for more help, comments, and answers?

Ask your questions on Ask Different. Ask Different is a community of Apple users ready to help.