The conversation on this page has been archived and is no longer active.

Pismo Li battery - type of cells contained - how to get

Message #1 - Posted 2003/09/27 - Marc Heusser

I just opened a Pismo Li-battery (a dead one).
Of course I did damage the latches (welded) but other than that with minimal damage.
The cells contained are:
Sony Energytec STG US18650GR
9 cells, with welded contacts, and soldering tabs at each end ("folded" in 4 and 5 cells, electrically 3 each in parallel, then the 3 packs in series - contacts to charging circuit at each series stage)

Any ideas of what such cells might cost?
Probably easier to buy a replacement.

Marc

Marc Heusser - Zurich, Switzerland
Coaching - Consulting - Counselling - Psychotherapy
http://www.heusser.com remove the obvious CHEERS and MERCIAL... from the reply address to reply via e-mail

Message #2 - Posted 2003/09/27 - John Johnson

Previously, Marc Heusser wrote:

I just opened a Pismo Li-battery (a dead one). Of course I did damage the latches (welded) but other than that with minimal damage.
The cells contained are:
Sony Energytec STG US18650GR
9 cells, with welded contacts, and soldering tabs at each end ("folded" in 4 and 5 cells, electrically 3 each in parallel, then the 3 packs in series - contacts to charging circuit at each series stage)

Any ideas of what such cells might cost?
Probably easier to buy a replacement.

Certainly much safer. You may have the knowledge and tools necssary to assemble a Li-ion pack out of bare cells, and if so, I apologize.

Li chemistry batteries can catch fire and/or explode if: overcharged, undercharged, or overheated (e.g. when you try to solder/weld the cells together with the wrong sort of equipment).

So, safety aside, it is difficult to obtain bare cells (though I've heard that they are available, at least in the USA). Add the extra work involved, the less-than-satisfactory results with the battery case, and the safety issues, and I would rather buy a new battery. YMMV.

I bought my battery from CDW.com. I paid 140USD plus shipping and it arrived in one or two days. I don't know whether they ship internationally, but I am a satisfied customer: good price, good service.

Message #3 - Posted 2003/09/28 - Marc Heusser

Previously, John Johnson wrote:

Previously, Marc Heusser wrote:

I just opened a Pismo Li-battery (a dead one). Of course I did damage the latches (welded) but other than that with minimal damage....
Any ideas of what such cells might cost?
Probably easier to buy a replacement.

Certainly much safer. You may have the knowledge and tools necssary to assemble a Li-ion pack out of bare cells, and if so, I apologize.

Li chemistry batteries can catch fire and/or explode if: overcharged, undercharged, or overheated (e.g. when you try to solder/weld the cells together with the wrong sort of equipment).

I know, and I'd probably know how to (MSEE) but was rather thinking of buying a customized cell pack.

So, safety aside, it is difficult to obtain bare cells (though I've heard that they are available, at least in the USA). Add the extra work involved, the less-than-satisfactory results with the battery case, and the safety issues, and I would rather buy a new battery. YMMV.

True

I bought my battery from CDW.com. I paid 140USD plus shipping and it arrived in one or two days. I don't know whether they ship internationally, but I am a satisfied customer: good price, good service.

I'll find out. Thanks!

Marc

Marc Heusser - Zurich, Switzerland
Coaching - Consulting - Counselling - Psychotherapy
http://www.heusser.com remove the obvious CHEERS and MERCIAL... from the reply address to reply via e-mail

Message #4 - Posted 2003/09/30 - Laurent Daudelin

In message , Marc Heusser <marc.heusser@CHEERSheusser.comMERCIALSPAMMERS.invalid> wrote:

Previously, John Johnson wrote:

Previously, Marc Heusser wrote:

I just opened a Pismo Li-battery (a dead one). Of course I did damage the latches (welded) but other than that with minimal damage....
Any ideas of what such cells might cost?
Probably easier to buy a replacement.

Certainly much safer. You may have the knowledge and tools necssary to assemble a Li-ion pack out of bare cells, and if so, I apologize.

Li chemistry batteries can catch fire and/or explode if: overcharged, undercharged, or overheated (e.g. when you try to solder/weld the cells together with the wrong sort of equipment).

I know, and I'd probably know how to (MSEE) but was rather thinking of buying a customized cell pack.

So, safety aside, it is difficult to obtain bare cells (though I've heard that they are available, at least in the USA). Add the extra work involved, the less-than-satisfactory results with the battery case, and the safety issues, and I would rather buy a new battery. YMMV.

True

I bought my battery from CDW.com. I paid 140USD plus shipping and it arrived in one or two days. I don't know whether they ship internationally, but I am a satisfied customer: good price, good service.

I'll find out. Thanks!

Check Laptops-Battery.com. I've got a replacement from them for $109 USD for my Pismo.

-Laurent.
-- ================================================================= Laurent Daudelin Logiciels Nemesys Software mailto:laurent.daudelin@ihatespam.net <http://nemesys.dyndns.org> Replace ihatespam with verizon to reply
+++++++++++ Sent using an Apple Newton MessagePad 2100 ++++++++++

Need Help? Have a Question?

Looking for more help, comments, and answers?

Ask your questions on Ask Different. Ask Different is a community of Apple users ready to help.