The conversation on this page has been archived and is no longer active.

Powerbook does not sleep on its own anymore

Message #1 - Posted 2004/10/03 - Egil Helland

My 15" Alu powerbook stopped sleeping on its own aprox a month ago. I believe it was related to updating either a security fix or to 10.3.5, but I am not sure. I have tried virtually everything to fix this: - Delete NVRAM
- Run Cocktail and Panther Cache Cleaner with "max" settings - Changing batteries
- Try from another user account
- Change my Enery Saver settings
- Be sure that the Fax panel is not set to receive faxes
- running in safe mode (shift held down)

Still nothing works. I can sleep the powerbook by closing the lid or selecting sleep from the Apple menu, but it will NOT sleep by itself, not even if the battery power is all drawn out!!

Anyone who has the same problem, or better - a fix?!?

-e

egil helland - http://egil.net

Message #2 - Posted 2004/10/06 - Laurent Daudelin

In message , egil.NOSPAM@egil.net (Egil Helland) wrote:

My 15" Alu powerbook stopped sleeping on its own aprox a month ago. I believe it was related to updating either a security fix or to 10.3.5, but I am not sure. I have tried virtually everything to fix this: - Delete NVRAM
- Run Cocktail and Panther Cache Cleaner with "max" settings - Changing batteries
- Try from another user account
- Change my Enery Saver settings
- Be sure that the Fax panel is not set to receive faxes
- running in safe mode (shift held down)

Still nothing works. I can sleep the powerbook by closing the lid or selecting sleep from the Apple menu, but it will NOT sleep by itself, not even if the battery power is all drawn out!!

Anyone who has the same problem, or better - a fix?!?

You might have installed something that runs a background process that keeps your PowerBook awake. It could also be that the power management pref file is corrupted. Check it out in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist. Finally, it could be the Power Management Unit in your PowerBook that is acting up...

-Laurent.
-- ================================================================= Laurent Daudelin Logiciels Nemesys Software mailto:laurent.daudelin@ihatespam.net <http://nemesys.dyndns.org> Replace ihatespam with verizon to reply
+++++++++++ Sent using an Apple Newton MessagePad 2100 ++++++++++

Message #3 - Posted 2004/10/06 - Egil Helland

Laurent Daudelin wrote:

In message , egil.NOSPAM@egil.net (Egil Helland) wrote:

My 15" Alu powerbook stopped sleeping on its own aprox a month ago. I believe it was related to updating either a security fix or to 10.3.5, but I am not sure. I have tried virtually everything to fix this: - Delete NVRAM
- Run Cocktail and Panther Cache Cleaner with "max" settings - Changing batteries
- Try from another user account
- Change my Enery Saver settings
- Be sure that the Fax panel is not set to receive faxes
- running in safe mode (shift held down)

Still nothing works. I can sleep the powerbook by closing the lid or selecting sleep from the Apple menu, but it will NOT sleep by itself, not even if the battery power is all drawn out!!

Anyone who has the same problem, or better - a fix?!?

You might have installed something that runs a background process that keeps your PowerBook awake. It could also be that the power management pref file is corrupted. Check it out in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist. Finally, it could be the Power Management Unit in your PowerBook that is acting up...

Thanks for the tips. I have tried all your suggestions, to no avail. I tried to reapply 10.3.5 combo update though, since I saw a hint about this on the net. This actually worked, but only for a brief period! I had a "crash" today (after unhooking an external projector my pb went black, and I had to boot it up, no kernel error og crash log whatsoever), and since I havent been able to sleep again! This is REALLY strange...

-e

egil helland - http://egil.net

Message #4 - Posted 2004/10/07 - Andre Berger

* Egil Helland <egil.NOSPAM@egil.net>, 2004-10-07 09:02 +0200:

Laurent Daudelin wrote:

In message , egil.NOSPAM@egil.net (Egil Helland) wrote:

My 15" Alu powerbook stopped sleeping on its own aprox a month ago. I believe it was related to updating either a security fix or to 10.3.5, but I am not sure. I have tried virtually everything to fix this: - Delete NVRAM
- Run Cocktail and Panther Cache Cleaner with "max" settings - Changing batteries
- Try from another user account
- Change my Enery Saver settings
- Be sure that the Fax panel is not set to receive faxes
- running in safe mode (shift held down)

[...]

You might have installed something that runs a background process that keeps your PowerBook awake. It could also be that the power management pref file is corrupted. Check it out in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist. Finally, it could be the Power Management Unit in your PowerBook that is acting up...

Thanks for the tips. I have tried all your suggestions, to no avail. I

Are you really sure there is no suspect background process hanging around? Such as something that syncs w/ PDAs? Any USB devices connected?

-Andre

Message #5 - Posted 2004/10/08 - Egil Helland

Andre Berger wrote:

Thanks for the tips. I have tried all your suggestions, to no avail. I

Are you really sure there is no suspect background process hanging around? Such as something that syncs w/ PDAs? Any USB devices connected?

I found out today, after reinstalling again with no effect and removing the powermanagement plist file, that the reason for my problems was MySQL!

This is REALLY strange, since I have been using MySQL together with my laptop since 10.2.0, running every update in between. But the instant I stopped the MysQL server, and waited for the sleep timer to hit, it went to sleep...

Now, what has happened since 10.3.4 that causes MySQL to behave this way? Or is there something special configuration in the latest MySQL builds (4.x) that causes Panther to wait for it all the time??

-e

egil helland - http://egil.net

Message #6 - Posted 2004/10/08 - Andre Berger

* Egil Helland <egil.NOSPAM@egil.net>, 2004-10-08 06:19 +0200:

Andre Berger wrote:

Are you really sure there is no suspect background process hanging around? Such as something that syncs w/ PDAs? Any USB devices connected?

I found out today, after reinstalling again with no effect and removing the powermanagement plist file, that the reason for my problems was MySQL!

Sorry, happy PostgreSQL user here!

<http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/>

-Andre

Message #7 - Posted 2004/10/08 - noman

On 2004-10-07, Egil Helland wrote:

Now, what has happened since 10.3.4 that causes MySQL to behave this way?

Short answer: nothing. I run MySQL 4.0.20 in 10.3.5 on a 12" PB and I've never seen this symptom.

Or is there something special configuration in the latest MySQL builds (4.x) that causes Panther to wait for it all the time??

What version of MySQL? How do you start the server?

Message #8 - Posted 2004/10/11 - Egil Helland

noman wrote:

On 2004-10-07, Egil Helland wrote:

Now, what has happened since 10.3.4 that causes MySQL to behave this way?

Short answer: nothing. I run MySQL 4.0.20 in 10.3.5 on a 12" PB and I've never seen this symptom.

I have just seen one posting on the same issue on the web, so I am not sure what causes this either. Several persons have other applications that are running daemons in the background resulting in the same sort of odd behaviour.

Or is there something special configuration in the latest MySQL builds (4.x) that causes Panther to wait for it all the time??

What version of MySQL? How do you start the server?

I also run 4.0.20, and its installed with the accompanying startup item.

egil helland - http://egil.net

Need Help? Have a Question?

Looking for more help, comments, and answers?

Ask your questions on Ask Different. Ask Different is a community of Apple users ready to help.