The conversation on this page has been archived and is no longer active.

Powerbook G4 battery buying advice

Message #1 - Posted 2007/11/26 - Songs_in_the_attic

Hello,

My PowerBook G4 (15" ABook) battery has decided to give up the ghost. I've been looking for a replacement. Apple want =A389.99 for it, and the Newertechnology one is pretty much the same price.

However, I've found a site called www.au-battery.com/ who only want =A325.23 for what looks to be the same battery.

Obviously, I'm concerned that this price is too good to be true.

Has anyone any experience of this company?
Or any other recommendations for places to buy PowerBook batteries?

Message #2 - Posted 2007/11/26 - zoara

<Songs_in_the_attic wrote:

Hello,

My PowerBook G4 (15" ABook) battery has decided to give up the ghost. I've been looking for a replacement. Apple want £89.99 for it, and the Newertechnology one is pretty much the same price.

However, I've found a site called www.au-battery.com/ who only want £25.23 for what looks to be the same battery.

Obviously, I'm concerned that this price is too good to be true.

Has anyone any experience of this company?
Or any other recommendations for places to buy PowerBook batteries?

I've had good experiences with a2zshop.co.uk, laptopsandspares.com and (I think) a1-battery.co.uk when buying batteries and chargers for our clamshell and white iBooks.

The reason it's cheaper is because it's made in China. There are loads of third-party batteries from there that are a lot cheaper than the official ones and seem to work okay in my experience.

-zoara-

No 3G. Fewer megapixels than an N95. Lame.

Message #3 - Posted 2007/11/27 - David Kennedy

On 26/11/07 17:12, zoara wrote:

The reason it's cheaper is because it's made in China. There are loads of third-party batteries from there that are a lot cheaper than the official ones and seem to work okay in my experience.

I thought Apples batteries were made in China?

Message #4 - Posted 2007/11/27 - zoara

David Kennedy <davidkennedy@nospamtodaythanksverymuchforthekindofferyoubastard.invalid

wrote:

On 26/11/07 17:12, zoara wrote:

The reason it's cheaper is because it's made in China. There are loads of third-party batteries from there that are a lot cheaper than the official ones and seem to work okay in my experience.

I thought Apples batteries were made in China?

Good point. I meant they come more directly, without the reassurance and markup of big-name suppliers.

-z-

No 3G. Fewer megapixels than an N95. Lame.

Message #5 - Posted 2007/11/28 - David Kennedy

On 27/11/07 21:30, zoara wrote:

David Kennedy <davidkennedy@nospamtodaythanksverymuchforthekindofferyoubastard.invalid

wrote:

On 26/11/07 17:12, zoara wrote:

The reason it's cheaper is because it's made in China. There are loads of third-party batteries from there that are a lot cheaper than the official ones and seem to work okay in my experience.

I thought Apples batteries were made in China?

Good point. I meant they come more directly, without the reassurance and markup of big-name suppliers.

I bought one on ebay, good price but it turned out to be one of those involved with the recall...

Need Help? Have a Question?

Looking for more help, comments, and answers?

Ask your questions on Ask Different. Ask Different is a community of Apple users ready to help.