The conversation on this page has been archived and is no longer active.

PowerBook G4 charging problem

Message #1 - Posted 2009/07/13 - Jim

I've got a 1.33GHz 15" PowerBook that's recently developed a charging issue.

Ordinarily the charging plug turns orange while charging, then turns green when charged. However, it's now only showing green even though it _does_ appear to be charging.

I've swapped the battery for an older spare. I've reset the PMU (powered off, held down shift-ctrl-option-power for 5 seconds) but nothing has changed.

In addition, the plug where it connects to the PBoko is getting rather warmer than I remember.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jim

http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk http://twitter.com/GreyAreaUK Please help save Bletchley Park - sign the petition for Government funding at: (open to UK residents and ex.pats) http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/BletchleyPark/ Thank you.

Message #2 - Posted 2009/07/13 - Hugo Rogers

On 7/13/09 8:16 PM, in article 1j2t6tc.iq8uvkz8chj6N%jim@magrathea.plus.com, Jim wrote:

I've got a 1.33GHz 15" PowerBook that's recently developed a charging issue.

Ordinarily the charging plug turns orange while charging, then turns green when charged. However, it's now only showing green even though it _does_ appear to be charging.

I've swapped the battery for an older spare. I've reset the PMU (powered off, held down shift-ctrl-option-power for 5 seconds) but nothing has changed.

In addition, the plug where it connects to the PBoko is getting rather warmer than I remember.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jim

My ex pwerbook g4 15 incher 1.67 ghz did do exactly that and did run hot on the charger and on the base of the laptop meaning impossible to put on lap for a while.... Then the charger went so had to buy an ebay replacment which worked weil without the lights

Message #3 - Posted 2009/07/14 - Ric Harris

On 13 July, 20:16, Jim wrote:

I've got a 1.33GHz 15" PowerBook that's recently developed a charging issue.

Ordinarily the charging plug turns orange while charging, then turns green when charged. However, it's now only showing green even though it _does_ appear to be charging.

I've swapped the battery for an older spare. I've reset the PMU (powered off, held down shift-ctrl-option-power for 5 seconds) but nothing has changed.

In addition, the plug where it connects to the PBoko is getting rather warmer than I remember.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jim
--http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk http://twitter.com/GreyAreaUK Please help save Bletchley Park - sign the petition for Government funding at:     (open to UK residents and ex.pats)http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/BletchleyPark/   Thank you.

My MBP did this and it ended up being a faulty charger. Handily I was able to borrow a mate's MB charger for a few minutes to prove the point. Started off as LED showing constant green whether charging or charged, ended up with not charging at all. Also seemed to upset the MBP as at one point it didn't power up on the faulty charger or a working spare one. Swapped charger, reset PMU and all OK, luckily.

I vaguely remember some sort of recall/out-of-warranty-support type of thing around charging on either MBs or PBs though - anyone else recall this?

Ric

Message #4 - Posted 2009/07/14 - Jim

On 2009-07-14, Ric Harris wrote:

My MBP did this and it ended up being a faulty charger. Handily I was able to borrow a mate's MB charger for a few minutes to prove the point. Started off as LED showing constant green whether charging or charged, ended up with not charging at all. Also seemed to upset the MBP as at one point it didn't power up on the faulty charger or a working spare one. Swapped charger, reset PMU and all OK, luckily.

Right-o, thanks for that. If I can somehow stop spending money for a month or so I may have just enough to a new MacBook Pro, so here's hoping the charger lasts that long.

In the meantime I'm making sure the charger is completely unplugged when I leave the house, and the PBoko itself completely shutdown. Just to be safe.

Jim

http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk http://twitter.com/GreyAreaUK Please help save Bletchley Park - sign the petition for Government funding at: (open to UK residents and ex.pats) http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/BletchleyPark/ Thank you.

Message #5 - Posted 2009/07/14 - David Kennedy

Jim wrote:

On 2009-07-14, Ric Harris wrote:

My MBP did this and it ended up being a faulty charger. Handily I was able to borrow a mate's MB charger for a few minutes to prove the point. Started off as LED showing constant green whether charging or charged, ended up with not charging at all. Also seemed to upset the MBP as at one point it didn't power up on the faulty charger or a working spare one. Swapped charger, reset PMU and all OK, luckily.

Right-o, thanks for that. If I can somehow stop spending money for a month or so I may have just enough to a new MacBook Pro, so here's hoping the charger lasts that long.

In the meantime I'm making sure the charger is completely unplugged when I leave the house, and the PBoko itself completely shutdown. Just to be safe.

Jim

They had some ex display machines in John Lewis at the weekend, 150 quid off...

Message #6 - Posted 2009/07/14 - Jim

On 2009-07-14, David Kennedy wrote:

In the meantime I'm making sure the charger is completely unplugged when I leave the house, and the PBoko itself completely shutdown. Just to be safe.

Jim

They had some ex display machines in John Lewis at the weekend, 150 quid off...

Money's rather tight at the moment as we've just had some rather expensive car services, so it's going to be at least a month, probbaly two, befor I can seriously look.

Jim

http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk http://twitter.com/GreyAreaUK Please help save Bletchley Park - sign the petition for Government funding at: (open to UK residents and ex.pats) http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/BletchleyPark/ Thank you.

Message #7 - Posted 2009/07/14 - David Kennedy

Jim wrote:

On 2009-07-14, David Kennedy wrote:

In the meantime I'm making sure the charger is completely unplugged when I leave the house, and the PBoko itself completely shutdown. Just to be safe.

Jim

They had some ex display machines in John Lewis at the weekend, 150 quid off...

Money's rather tight at the moment as we've just had some rather expensive car services, so it's going to be at least a month, probbaly two, befor I can seriously look.

Jim

Always worth a look at JL though, their prices were close to the refurb store and with the 2 year guarantee...

Message #8 - Posted 2009/07/14 - Jim

On 2009-07-14, David Kennedy wrote:

Jim wrote:

On 2009-07-14, David Kennedy wrote:

In the meantime I'm making sure the charger is completely unplugged when I leave the house, and the PBoko itself completely shutdown. Just to be safe.

Jim

They had some ex display machines in John Lewis at the weekend, 150 quid off...

Money's rather tight at the moment as we've just had some rather expensive car services, so it's going to be at least a month, probbaly two, befor I can seriously look.

Jim

Always worth a look at JL though, their prices were close to the refurb store and with the 2 year guarantee...

Yep, good point. Thanks.

Jim

http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk http://twitter.com/GreyAreaUK Please help save Bletchley Park - sign the petition for Government funding at: (open to UK residents and ex.pats) http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/BletchleyPark/ Thank you.

Need Help? Have a Question?

Looking for more help, comments, and answers?

Ask your questions on Ask Different. Ask Different is a community of Apple users ready to help.