The conversation on this page has been archived and is no longer active.

Sleep in osx

Message #1 - Posted 2003/06/21 - Dig

Is there a way to put a password on sleep, so it will ask for one when it wakes?

Thanks, Dig

Message #2 - Posted 2003/06/21 - Andre G. Isaak

Previously, Dig wrote:

Is there a way to put a password on sleep, so it will ask for one when it wakes?

Thanks, Dig

There is an 'ask for password' option in the screen effects control panel.

Alternately, if you open keychain access, and choose 'show status in menu bar' from the view menu (or something with similar wording).

This will put a menulet in your menu bar which contains a 'lock screen' command.

AndrÈ

n.b. there are no monotremes in my email address

Message #3 - Posted 2003/06/23 - Jorl Shefner

Previously, Andre G. Isaak wrote:

Previously, Dig wrote:

Is there a way to put a password on sleep, so it will ask for one when it wakes?

Thanks, Dig

There is an 'ask for password' option in the screen effects control panel.

Alternately, if you open keychain access, and choose 'show status in menu bar' from the view menu (or something with similar wording).

This will put a menulet in your menu bar which contains a 'lock screen' command.

AndrÈ

I think the OP is asking something else. Screen effects can be set to require a password, as you mention. However, if one puts the machine directly to sleep from the main menu bar it does not ask for a password on waking. I don't know if this is possible or not, but it would be nice if there was a way to do it because is an issue for me as well.

Anyone know how to do this?

J.S.

Message #4 - Posted 2003/06/23 - Dig

Previously, Jorl Shefner wrote:

Previously, Andre G. Isaak wrote:

Previously, Dig wrote:

Is there a way to put a password on sleep, so it will ask for one when it wakes?

Thanks, Dig

There is an 'ask for password' option in the screen effects control panel.

Alternately, if you open keychain access, and choose 'show status in menu bar' from the view menu (or something with similar wording).

This will put a menulet in your menu bar which contains a 'lock screen' command.

AndrÈ

I think the OP is asking something else. Screen effects can be set to require a password, as you mention. However, if one puts the machine directly to sleep from the main menu bar it does not ask for a password on waking. I don't know if this is possible or not, but it would be nice if there was a way to do it because is an issue for me as well.

Anyone know how to do this?

J.S.

Check this out.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61319

Dig.

Need Help? Have a Question?

Looking for more help, comments, and answers?

Ask your questions on Ask Different. Ask Different is a community of Apple users ready to help.