The conversation on this page has been archived and is no longer active.

to sleep or not to sleep

Message #1 - Posted 2006/10/27 - srdjan.m

I've just recently purchased a macbook. And it is a great computer, however I do have one question. Which is better: to shut it down or to just put it to sleep? This is my first laptop so any advice is more than welcomed.

Cheers

Message #2 - Posted 2006/10/27 - matt neuburg

srdjan.m wrote:

I've just recently purchased a macbook. And it is a great computer, however I do have one question. Which is better: to shut it down or to just put it to sleep? This is my first laptop so any advice is more than welcomed.

Oh, good, a religious question! :)

If you are transporting it (e.g. in a backpack), shut it down, lest it be jogged awake and something bad happen. Otherwise, I *never* shut down my computers; I always sleep them. But I do restart them every few days. m.

matt neuburg, phd = matt@tidbits.com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/ Tiger - http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/tiger-customizing.html AppleScript - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596102119 Read TidBITS! It's free and smart. http://www.tidbits.com

Message #3 - Posted 2006/10/27 - srdjan.m

I've just recently purchased a macbook. And it is a great computer, however I do have one question. Which is better: to shut it down or to just put it to sleep? This is my first laptop so any advice is more than welcomed.

Cheers

Message #4 - Posted 2006/10/27 - srdjan.m

I've just recently purchased a macbook. And it is a great computer, however I do have one question. Which is better: to shut it down or to just put it to sleep? This is my first laptop so any advice is more than welcomed.

Cheers

Message #5 - Posted 2006/10/28 - Doug Anderson

matt@tidbits.com (matt neuburg) writes:

srdjan.m wrote:

I've just recently purchased a macbook. And it is a great computer, however I do have one question. Which is better: to shut it down or to just put it to sleep? This is my first laptop so any advice is more than welcomed.

Oh, good, a religious question! :)

If you are transporting it (e.g. in a backpack), shut it down, lest it be jogged awake and something bad happen. Otherwise, I *never* shut down my computers; I always sleep them. But I do restart them every few days. m.

Well, I respect your religion, but mine is different.

I always sleep my computers. I shut them down if it is going to be at least a few days before I use them again. And restart when installing updates from Apple that demand that.

So far this practice has appeased my god.

Message #6 - Posted 2006/10/27 - Jolly Roger

On 2006-10-27 16:47:11 -0500, srdjan.m said:

I've just recently purchased a macbook. And it is a great computer, however I do have one question. Which is better: to shut it down or to just put it to sleep? This is my first laptop so any advice is more than welcomed.
Cheers

Please don't post the same question multiple times to the same forum in the same day - it only makes answering you more difficult for those trying to help, and makes finding the answer(s) to your question harder for you and any others who might have a similar problem.

JR

Message #7 - Posted 2006/10/28 - Paul Sture

Previously, Doug Anderson wrote:

matt@tidbits.com (matt neuburg) writes:

srdjan.m wrote:

I've just recently purchased a macbook. And it is a great computer, however I do have one question. Which is better: to shut it down or to just put it to sleep? This is my first laptop so any advice is more than welcomed.

Oh, good, a religious question! :)

If you are transporting it (e.g. in a backpack), shut it down, lest it be jogged awake and something bad happen. Otherwise, I *never* shut down my computers; I always sleep them. But I do restart them every few days. m.

Well, I respect your religion, but mine is different.

I always sleep my computers. I shut them down if it is going to be at least a few days before I use them again. And restart when installing updates from Apple that demand that.

So far this practice has appeased my god.

But for a new laptop user, what is the recommended way to treat the battery for the best longevity?

I'm sure there was a thread on this subject here a couple of years ago. That was too late for me, as I'd already done the wrong thing by leaving it my system pretty permanently plugged in, but that information would be useful for someone with a new system.

Paul Sture

Message #8 - Posted 2006/10/27 - srdjan.m

On Oct 28, 1:31 am, Jolly Roger <jollyro...@null.org> wrote: Please don't post the same question multiple times to the same forum in

the same day - it only makes answering you more difficult for those trying to help, and makes finding the answer(s) to your question harder for you and any others who might have a similar problem.

--
JR

sorry about that, I tried to post from google groups and it reported an internal error. I actually thought that it hadn't created a discussion so I thought I'd try again later. However after a few minutes the posts appeared. Again sorry about that.

Thanks for the help everybody, it is very much appreciated

srdjan

Message #9 - Posted 2006/10/28 - Sn!pe

Paul Sture wrote:

But for a new laptop user, what is the recommended way to treat the battery for the best longevity?

Battery University is interesting and seems quite authoritative:- <http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm>

^œ^

Message #10 - Posted 2006/10/28 - Barry Margolin

Previously, srdjan.m wrote:

On Oct 28, 1:31 am, Jolly Roger <jollyro...@null.org> wrote: Please don't post the same question multiple times to the same forum in

the same day - it only makes answering you more difficult for those trying to help, and makes finding the answer(s) to your question harder for you and any others who might have a similar problem.

--
JR

sorry about that, I tried to post from google groups and it reported an internal error. I actually thought that it hadn't created a discussion so I thought I'd try again later. However after a few minutes the posts appeared. Again sorry about that.

That seems to happen an awful lot with Google Groups. These days, 99% of the times that I see duplicate postings, they're by Googliots.

Switch to a real news reader with an NNTP news service, like individual.net, and these problems should clear up.

Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
*** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me *** *** PLEASE don't copy me on replies, I'll read them in the group ***

Message #11 - Posted 2006/10/30 - Steve W. Jackson

Previously, srdjan.m wrote:

I've just recently purchased a macbook. And it is a great computer, however I do have one question. Which is better: to shut it down or to just put it to sleep? This is my first laptop so any advice is more than welcomed.

Cheers

I'm using a PowerBook G4 bought in the summer of 2002. I have never routinely made a practice of shutting it down. Instead, at the end of each day I merely close the lid and let it sleep. Given the Unix origins of OS X, I'm of the opinion that there's no real reason to shut it down.

That same origin, however, demonstrates something that you should do whether you elect to let it sleep or shut it down overnight. Specifically, there are some tasks set to run periodically (daily, weekly and monthly) which typically run during non-peak time -- like 3 a.m., when systems are typically not in use. Those tasks won't run if the system is not running, including sleeping. You should look into some of the various solutions that can be used to compensate. These range from some people's preferred solution of a program that runs them all when you say, to alternatives that include automatic rescheduling. I use the latter by way of a program called Anacron installed way back when using Fink.

= Steve =

Steve W. Jackson
Montgomery, Alabama

Need Help? Have a Question?

Looking for more help, comments, and answers?

Ask your questions on Ask Different. Ask Different is a community of Apple users ready to help.