To sleep, perchance to fall over

Has anyone else noticed how much longer it is before the machine goes to sleep after being told to in Tiger?
ray wrote on :

Has anyone else noticed how much longer it is before the machine goes to sleep after being told to in Tiger? In Panther the Powerbook would go into sleep mode within, ooo I guess, about 5 seconds at most after closing the lid or clicking 'Sleep". In Tiger this process is taking around 35 seconds. I can't help getting a slight feeling of panic when this happens. Can we blame this on Spotlight too?

I'm also convinced Tiger is not as stable as Panther, at least some of the applications aren't, including the recently installed PowerMail, which has crashed this morning. And I bloody paid for it yesterday.

I noticed on waking the machine yesterday that all the pallets in Dreamweaver and Photoshop had reverted to their default locations two thirds of the way across the screen instead of firmly parked against the right side where I left them.

On the other hand this behaviour may be the fault of the applications not being fully 'Tiger Compatible' yet. Although PowerMail claims to be.

I have a slight feeling of fear every time I wake the machine that it won't actually wake up. I never had that with Panther.

Bonge Boo! replied on :

On 29/5/05 8:45 am, in article 1gxbe9d.1f5c5vk1e7i328N%datasmog@redacted.invalid, "ray" datasmog@redacted.invalid wrote:

I have a slight feeling of fear every time I wake the machine that it won't actually wake up. I never had that with Panther.

So revert to Panther until the problems get sorted.

I haven't upgraded for this reason (along with pure tight-fistedness).

Elliott Roper replied on :

In article BEBF35B2.998E1%bingbong@redacted.invalid, Bonge Boo! bingbong@redacted.invalid wrote:

On 29/5/05 8:45 am, in article 1gxbe9d.1f5c5vk1e7i328N%datasmog@redacted.invalid, "ray" datasmog@redacted.invalid wrote:

I have a slight feeling of fear every time I wake the machine that it won't actually wake up. I never had that with Panther.

So revert to Panther until the problems get sorted.

I haven't upgraded for this reason (along with pure tight-fistedness).

That has not been my experience. I always get somewhat variable delays before sleep kicks in. It seems to depend on what each of the 20-odd applications were doing when I shut the lid, and on how hard the fan was revving. Tiger is no diff(sleep and rewake)erent. 4 sec to sleep just then.

To keep those fishooks in your pocket hard at work, Mail and PGP have given me a few scares, still not fully resolved. Spotlight is fantastic, well worth the price all by itself, but has a long way to go to get keyboard nav right and seems to have been behind a couple of Finder hangs.

ray replied on :

Bonge Boo! bingbong@redacted.invalid wrote:

On 29/5/05 8:45 am, in article 1gxbe9d.1f5c5vk1e7i328N%datasmog@redacted.invalid, "ray" datasmog@redacted.invalid wrote:

I have a slight feeling of fear every time I wake the machine that it won't actually wake up. I never had that with Panther.

So revert to Panther until the problems get sorted.

I haven't upgraded for this reason (along with pure tight-fistedness).

Yes right. If we all used the same approach to cellphones, those of us with enough dosh would still be paying 1000 a phone and 1 a minute or more for calls. The upside of this of course is we wouldn't be suffering those infuriating ring tone adverts and that fucking frog.

I'll stick with it thanks.

Bonge Boo! replied on :

On 29/5/05 10:36 am, in article 1gxbjyr.mgrlfr11mtybrN%datasmog@redacted.invalid, "ray" datasmog@redacted.invalid wrote:

I have a slight feeling of fear every time I wake the machine that it won't actually wake up. I never had that with Panther. So revert to Panther until the problems get sorted.

I haven't upgraded for this reason (along with pure tight-fistedness).

Yes right. If we all used the same approach to cellphones, those of us with enough dosh would still be paying 1000 a phone and 1 a minute or more for calls.

Umm. Your logic is completely lost on me there. Please explain?

Woody replied on :

ray datasmog@redacted.invalid wrote:

Has anyone else noticed how much longer it is before the machine goes to sleep after being told to in Tiger? In Panther the Powerbook would go into sleep mode within, ooo I guess, about 5 seconds at most after closing the lid or clicking 'Sleep". In Tiger this process is taking around 35 seconds. I can't help getting a slight feeling of panic when this happens. Can we blame this on Spotlight too?

Mine is less than 4 seconds on the desktop and less than 2 on the powerbook.

I'm also convinced Tiger is not as stable as Panther, at least some of the applications aren't, including the recently installed PowerMail, which has crashed this morning. And I bloody paid for it yesterday.

my applications are just as stable but I don't have powermail.

I noticed on waking the machine yesterday that all the pallets in Dreamweaver and Photoshop had reverted to their default locations two thirds of the way across the screen instead of firmly parked against the right side where I left them.

Well, dreamweaver is still as bad as it was in panther (and before) but it hasn't rearnged itself.

On the other hand this behaviour may be the fault of the applications not being fully 'Tiger Compatible' yet. Although PowerMail claims to be.

I have a slight feeling of fear every time I wake the machine that it won't actually wake up. I never had that with Panther.

I did have that with panther (so does sab if you remove the power lead when it is asleep) but have yet to have it with tiger.

Peter Lee replied on :

Bonge Boo! bingbong@redacted.invalid wrote:

On 29/5/05 10:36 am, in article 1gxbjyr.mgrlfr11mtybrN%datasmog@redacted.invalid, "ray" datasmog@redacted.invalid wrote:

I have a slight feeling of fear every time I wake the machine that it won't actually wake up. I never had that with Panther. So revert to Panther until the problems get sorted.

I haven't upgraded for this reason (along with pure tight-fistedness).

Yes right. If we all used the same approach to cellphones, those of us with enough dosh would still be paying 1000 a phone and 1 a minute or more for calls.

Umm. Your logic is completely lost on me there. Please explain? ...perhaps that early mass adoption reduces prices?

Peter

Richard Tobin replied on :

In article 1gxbpuf.1pkn3xx29vsiqN%peterlee@redacted.invalid, Peter Lee peterlee@redacted.invalid wrote:

...perhaps that early mass adoption reduces prices?

So you think Tiger would be cheaper if there were more demand for it?

-- Richard

ray replied on :

Richard Tobin richard@redacted.invalid wrote:

In article 1gxbpuf.1pkn3xx29vsiqN%peterlee@redacted.invalid, Peter Lee peterlee@redacted.invalid wrote:

...perhaps that early mass adoption reduces prices?

So you think Tiger would be cheaper if there were more demand for it?

No. The more people use it the more likely it is to get better quicker. Early cellphones, apart from being the size of a small house, were practically useless. The providers listened to early adopters and fixed things quickly. Increased reliabilty and usefullness increased the numbers of subscribers and the prices eventually came down to a level where every school kid has a cellphone that actually works pretty much anywhere.